Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm setting up a 50L converted keg homebrew system and have been contemplating the cost of various forms of energy for my system. I've settled on 2 3KW hot water cylinder elements for my energy source. My rationale is as follows...

1lb LPG=21591 BTUs
19.84lbs (9kg) LPG=428,365.44 BTU's/9kg LPG
3413 BTUs=1kWh
therfore... 9kg LPG=125.5 kWh
at $26/9kg LPG bottle (Raglan)
1kWh of LPG=$.207
Currently I'm paying around $.20/kWh on avg. for electricity. Seems cheaper and more convenient.

What is everyone else using (LPG or elctricity) for their energy sources in similar systems?

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use electrickery.
1 x 3kw element in the boiler, 1 x 3kw and 1 x 2kw in the HLT.

Boiler, I leave a lid on to bring to the boil, then remove once boiling. I have to keep a close eye on it else it boils over.
By chance I have mine hooked up to the hot water circuit - which I believe is on a different rate? Anyway, it didn't play out so well - I was brewing once around 6pm, came downstairs to check progress only to discover that it had turned off - the power company saving the grid at peak times (dinner time). Of course they don't tell you that.
Anyway, I usually just plug it into a standard circuit these days.

Electricity is great for brewing. I'm a believer.
I'm a bit of both. I have a 3KW element in my 50L Keg HLT and that is plenty enough to bring up to 80 degrees C in 40-60mins. I have a 1.5KW element in my mash tun which works well for stepped mashing without scorching.

I then use a 4 ring LPG burner (available mega mitre 10 or BBQ factory) for the kettle. I like the ability to throttle the juice which is problematic with an electric element.

Yes LPG is a pain in the arse, especially when you run out. I estimate my average finished brew of 35L uses about 3kg of gas. (3 brews per fill). Fundumentally dollars don't come into it for me, I'd rather accept the hassle and premium in a trade-off for control.

That all said, gas company's are still monopolistic thieving pricks.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service