Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

The next quarterly competition will be held at Hallertau (as usual) on the 30th of May 2009. The next style will be BJCP style 9D. Irish Red Ale.

Anybody who is interested in entering can contact myself to find out the necessary information. If you are not a resident of Auckland, and wish to enter please contact me - and I will organise you entry to be made.

The style guidelines for the next competition are below:

9D. Irish Red Ale
Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.

Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan colored head.

Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol warmth in stronger versions.

Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.

Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager (if so, generally will not exhibit a diacetyl character). When served too cold, the roasted character and bitterness may seem more elevated.

Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.044 – 1.060
IBUs: 17 – 28 FG: 1.010 – 1.014
SRM: 9 – 18 ABV: 4.0 – 6.0%

Commercial Examples: Three Floyds Brian Boru Old Irish Ale, Great Lakes Conway’s Irish Ale (a bit strong at 6.5%), Kilkenny Irish Beer, O’Hara’s Irish Red Ale, Smithwick’s Irish Ale, Beamish Red Ale, Caffrey’s Irish Ale, Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale, Murphy’s Irish Red (lager), Boulevard Irish Ale, Harpoon Hibernian Ale

Views: 145

Replies to This Discussion

Hrm, one of my least favourite styles. Could be a fun challenge.
I like the idea of making a beer with a "Buttered Toast like quality..."
Count me in on this bad boy. This time I intend not to loose! HAHA
I'll try to be in - but it may be difficult with a 3 week old... Time to show some dedication I think!
Trust me, all they do when theyre first born is sleep and eat, then sleep again, youll end up taking time off work thinking "this bonding with my new fam is gonna be great" and then you end up sitting on the couch bored as hell! So plenty of time to brew :o)
What... you forgot the screaming at 2am Reviled!!

Then there is reading How to Brew to them.... and they fall asleep.
lol for me it was Van Halen ;o) And he instantly shuts up lol
How come whenever James P replies to something, my RSS feed tells me "You replied to blah"?

Erm. De-threadjack.
Because - you are the Tron-personification of James_P... didn't you know?
It's becuase "I be owning all your bases."

I had that problem last week, when Joking replied to something and I got the "You..." RSS.

Let's test that theory again shall we....
then there's the projectile vomits that need to be cleaned up from every surface in a 3 meter radius .... he'll get there, no problem
Sounds very encouraging! Thanks guys... I'm looking forward to it even more now!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service