Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i hate to admit it but i laughed my arse off when i read about your accident, am glad you're ok though! got a very vivid picture of you charging in to stop the boil over (been there, done that!) and arsing up resulting in an angry wife! beer sounds nice though, any chance you could post a picture of it when it's ready? am thinking of brewing a similar beer and would like to see the colour effects of a crystal malt that dark
Took a sample to check the SG today and I think it's finished. It has got down to 1.018 from somewhere in the vicinity of 1.100 (hydrometer won't read that high) so the ABV is somewhere between 10%-11%. Tastes bloody lovely too - nice bitter orange character to it. Anyway, as requested here's a picture of it to show the colour:

So this seems to have pretty much fermented out (will be checking the SG tonight, I think) and I need to figure out what I'm going to do about maturing it. My options are:
- bottle conditioning. Would probably fine with gelatin, leave it for 24 hours to drop out a lot of the yeast then bottle with a limited amount of priming sugar.
- keg it, then bottle from keg in a couple of months. Again would fine it before kegging, then keep under low CO2 pressure.

I'm aiming to keep this stuff for at least 6 months, and some for at least a year.

Any thoughts?

Righto, here is what i (and Joking) brewed on new years day... HOP FIEND!! 6kg Golden Promise 200g Caramel Malt 200g Carapils 50g Cascade flowers (mash hopped) 82% efficiency 1.066 SG 21 ltrs 90 munite boil 100g perle 7.4 aa for 60 mins 50g cascade 8.6aa for 10mins 50g amarillo 8.4 at flameout 50g amarillo & 50g cascade dryhop WLP001 yeast (350grams hop total) I checked the wort this morning and my toung is still bleeding. Joking came up from New Plymouth and this is the first beer we have created since making the WBC, or Western Brewers Conference. Wanted to make some kick-ass American IPA that would be similar to Epic Armageddon. Seems like 1/2 of the wort was wasted because there were so much hops at the bottom. Between that and the 1cm of hop oil floating on the top we only got 20 odd litres. The wort was certainly more hazy coming out of the kettle than going in. Wonder what the beer judges will think when they pour a beer with a green head!
Brewed a beer for My brothers Race Day Drinks he like my all Sauvin Ale so I made him another edition. Nice and easy.

100% Maris
100% Sauvin 20g each addition at 60, 10, 0
S-05

I tried a protein rest for 30 mins an a Saccharification rest for 45. fully converted and my run off was as crystal clear. I hope this sorts out chilled clarity. Still went into fermenter cloudy though. Also is there any beer smith users out there who used the protein rest mash schedule, and had issues hitting the temps?
Awesome fellas. Looks like a good day, nice recipe, and really nice of you to put some undies on for the photo!
Any guesses to what this is?????

40L

8.0kg ADM Pils
0.8kg Weyermann Caramunich II
0.3kg Weyermann CaraAmber
0.3kg Weyermann Carafa II
0.3kg Weyermann Pale Wheat

Expect OG to be around 1.058.

Hopped with 4.2%aa East Kent Goldings - 70g @ 60min, 30g @ 20min to 25ibu

Pitching yeast in a couple of hours...
Belgian Pale Ale? depends on yeast?
Close... it's a bit dark. Half of it is on its way to becoming a Belgian Brown... with a mix of WLP500 and WLP550.
Shall be very nice!! Man I wish I bought a bigger mash tun so I can mix them up with diffrent yeasts, maybee i flick this one and get a bigger one, Any takers out there for a Morebeer 5 gal mash tun? there bloody brilliant!!
When I return your bottles you'll get a few Belgians and a Northern (German) Brown.
How much do you want for the mash tun bro?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service