Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I have started doing biab and have got a couple of excellent brews but I have just put another one down and allmost forgot to take a gravity reading. I had already put the yeast in dry so I took the lid off and took a sample. I was expecting around 1040ish and got 1005!!!!!

I soaked the grain at 67C for 60 mins and boiled for 90 mins. Everything went really well I thought. I cooled overnight in the pot with plastic wrap. Temp when I took the gravity was 22C.

Any ideas on why and can I fix it?

Nick.

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

shake shit out of fermenter, retake sample

if you are sampling water from the top thats why you are getting 1.005

fermentation will mix it up if this is the case anyways.

I would not brew without the refractometer now, its like a security blanket, it tells me exactly where I am during the brew process....  especially with wheat beers.

Thanks mate, I am taking from the top. It was an aftersight because I forgot to take sample earlier.

It is one of the Debles Kiwi Pale Ales that you gave me and they are just SO good that I dont want to lose one.

Great news I am about 99% sure a mash cant fail that badly... I knew nothing when I started and i still made beer better then kits.   I have the debles pale ale 1 day away from rack to secondary and final hop, will test taste and dry hop before beer festival.....with matching food.

if you brew once a month , in 10 years you will have 120 brews experience!!!! almost every disaster will have happened...    I have not included koppa floc still made a great beer!

RDWHAHB

I am trying to find the ebay mail,  I think it was during the phase when i was hiding homebrew spending from missus,   so maybe work email, harder now there is a gylcool unit and stainless fermenter in a garage.....

will post ebay / sellor asap

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service