Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi Guys,
I know there have been various discussions on the topic of brew kettles. I am still on the hunt for a good stainless steel kettle and I wondered whether anyone might know of a NZ supplier of a kettle with tap already fitted. I can't find one. There are some suppliers in Australia that are reasonable competitive price-wise, but the cost of the freight rather blows that option out of the water.
Also, since I am just busy getting set up for full mash brewing, a number of folk have suggested getting organised to do 40L brews from the outset, even though I'll start with around 25L. It has been suggested that a brew kettle of 70L total capacity would be the way to go. Do you reckon this is about right, or overkill?
Any thought most welcome.
Cheers,
Ian

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unless you've got a fermenter that's capable of taking more than about 40L (or planning to get one), 70L might be overkill. That said, I've had a lot of people say that you'll never regret having the capacity to go bigger!

I started with a 40L pot, and recently bought a 50L stainless keg off trademe (at the bargain price of $47, including a beer tap!) which I've cut the top out of. Now just need to get it to an engineering firm to get a tap fitted, and we'll be away. That'll be big enough for a boil volume of up to about 42L, which should give me a fermenter volume around 35L. At this stage of the game I don't want to go bigger than that anyway - would need either an extra or a bigger fermenter, plus a bigger burner to get the boil going strong, and as a bit of a newbie I like the idea of smaller batches so I can experiment without the risk of giant batches of terrible beer!
Everything you say there is very logical. I don't have a large fermentor but I thought since they are comparatively inexpensive (the plastic ones such as I have) that I could simply use two? Maybe I am being neive - as I say, I am only setting up for full mash.
I have ferreted about for 50L brew kegs, so maybe I should intensify that search, since if I can get two, then I could use one for my HLT as well.
Cheers,
Ian
I have a 40l aluminium pot and I reckon it's about the right size for single batch brews.

One nice aspect of aluminium is that you can drill it with a spade bit and fit your own tap without welding or cutting equipment.

Is there any particular reason for going with stainless?
Aluminium is a highly reactive metal. If you scratch the oxide layer off the aluminium it will react with your wort. This will give you alzheimers. Even without scratching it can lend metallic flavours. Ask any chef. Stainless avoids both problems, in addition to being more durable and easier to clean. Kegs are great (I have one myself) and are pretty high-grade steel, or any large stainless pot. I have a friend who just picked up a 60L stainless pot for $160 somewhere. Any general engineer can plasma cut a keg and drill a hole for a tap for less than $40. Doesn't need to be welded in.
Nothing wrong with splitting a batch between two fermenters, and yes the plastic ones are cheap as chips and there's nothing wrong with them as long as you don't get any scratches, which can harbour infection.

Sounds like you are on the right track.
Ollie...Given your extensive knowledge of metallurgy, chemistry and human anatomy, can you give me an example of someone dying from alzheimers as they had been brewing and drinking beer boiled up in an aluminium pot? ALL the information online constantly contradicts the others arguements..From the reading I've done over the last few months it's still perpetuated ( based on some old research) that aluminium pots kill people? There are also studies out there that show you get more aluminium from a painkiller than from anything else.... Studies and stats can pretty much show anything they want however!!! I can't wait for the lawsuits to unfurl as all the alzheimer sufferers sue the pot makers and aluminium smelters....If you can't afford stainless then I see no issues ( IMHO) from using aluminium...
Woah.
Haven't read anything online so won't comment on what's being said aside from everything online tends to contradict everything else in my experience, and few sources are reliable. Just relaying what I know from chem and food safety. Aluminium is absolutely fine so long as you don't scratch off the inert oxide layer ie. use wooden or plastic spoons, as a general food safety thing. Aluminium pots don't cause Alzheimer's, aluminum needs to get into your bloodstream to affect neurons/cause Alzheimer's and other diseases. No big deal.

Personally I'd be more worried about getting Alzheimer's than dying from it. That's not the worst part.
From what I have read on the subject I believe there is more chance of ingesting aluminium from antacids, or applying it in deodorant...both applications lead to the mineral being transferred to your blood stream.

However I do recommend a stainless steel kettle, as they are more robust (as long as you are not buying a cheap thin based one).
That's a fair point James, Stainless is a lot more durable.

My personal experience was that ally was cheaper and got me into all grain faster than trying to save up for a big stainless pot. The workability is a bonus at the moment because I'll be able to add my own tap.

One day we'll all have upgraded to BeerBellys and we'll laugh about this discussion! ;-)
You might be right Ollie.
Have you considered these Urn Ive used one for over 2 years now no probs just a little slow to bring to boil, been meaning to add another element.
You have foiled my plot to snipe this Urn Dan!!!!! I had my eye on it all week, now there'll be a bidding war from realbeer users!!!
Dont worry Im sure there are lots where they came from, they are always on there.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service