Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I am Fine Tuning my brewing, and want to improve my bottle clarity. I normaly Mash at 65.8-67.8. Boil for 60mins and when It comes to Bottling my beers are Crystal Clear. But after they have matured for 2-4 weeks in bottle as soon as I pop them in the fridge they Turn cloudy, chill haze. The Beer tastes spot on but I just want to improve the clarity, So when I give the Beer to people who dont realy know a real beer from an export or tui, they dont judge the beer to be awfull from just looking at it. I want to know if im missing a process or improve a process. any thoughts?

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cant help with the process cos my beers are the same, I try not to worry about it, even though it keeps me up at night ;oP lol

You could try getting some poly clar? Which removes the chill haze and is supposed to be pretty good stuff... More fluffing about tho...

Otherwise, maybe a protein rest might help? Id be interested to know...
This may be a factor.

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/Other/HSAmash.shtml

Rate of cooling after being in the kettle. i.e. are you "no-chilling" may have some afffect.

Keeping the beer very cold for long periods will make the precipitate form and sink to the bottom. The rate that this happens depends on the size of the molecule. Chill haze is quite small so takes a while.

I serve most of mine warm so don't have this problem.
I use 1 tsp of irish moss in the boil with 10 min remain. I also added another tsp at 0 min in my last batch. This helps remove some if the proteins that cause chill haze.

I've also read that chilling as fast as you can after the boil is crucial for the cold break (re. HowToBrew). I always chill as fast as I can can in the bath with ice which is not particulaly fast (30'ish mins to get down to 20c). I've never tried no-chill but imagine that it would make for a beer with significant chill haze. Anyone tried both chill and no-chill?

My beers are pretty clear, I can post a photo tonight if you like.
(don't look at the one's in my profile photo's are they are not clear at all and before I started using Irish moss)
if you get really excited the info in this might help.
Try again
Attachments:
Cheers for that its quite a read!! will do it once I feel onto it again.
Thank you Horace

Some interesting stuff in that doc for me to get my head around

Cheers
Yeah I use Irish Moss at the 10 mins before end of boil and chill with a copper coil which takes about 8 mins. The only beers I have brewed and drunk that are clear were my couple of extract brews and my second brew which was a Porter (go figure?). Would love to look at a pic of your beer.
I only get chill haze at fridge temps so i don't put mine in the fridge, i chill them using a wine chiller i usually get it down to 10-12°C and no chill haze at that temp or just put them in the fridge for a little while say 30-45 mins in the door and that seems to work....
The porter would have lots of melanoidins which have some way of making the other bits stable. So you often won't get a haze with darker beers
Chill haze is to be welcomed in all grain home brewing. Unless it looks like you are drinking a glass of orange juice, an amount of haze is acceptable for most styles of ale. You will remove haze from lagers if you store at zero for a month or 2. Blonde ales, and kolsh is the same. Most Pale Ales should have some haze: infact for IPA's and hoppy APA's you wont even be able to get rid of a certain amount of the haze even if you used irish moss/koppafloc/whirlfloc/carageenan and even if you used the right polyclar. The only way to get the haze causing compounds out of there would be cold filtration.

The easiest thing for you to do, is as Mr Cherry does. 1 tsp Irish moss @ 15mins boil. Then once you have bottled, store warm for a few weeks, then store in the beer fridge as cold as possible for a month or 2 before serving. Or you could do as other people do, and embrace the haze!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service