Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Something different: 

Batch Size (fermenter): 44.00 
Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG 
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG 
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.8 % 
Bitterness: 41.7 IBUs 
Est Color: 15.3 EBC 

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU 
9.52 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 75.0 % 
1.02 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 8.0 % 
1.02 kg White Wheat Malt (4.7 EBC) Grain 3 8.0 % 
0.40 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 3.1 % 
0.35 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 5 2.8 % 
0.25 kg Gladfield Toffee Malt (11.0 EBC) Grain 6 2.0 % 
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 7 1.2 % 

15.00 g Pacific Jade [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 10.9 IBUs 

80.00 g Kohatu [6.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 10.3 IBUs 
80.00 g Motueka [7.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 11.5 IBUs 
40.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 9.0 IBUs 

80.00 g Kohatu [6.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs 
80.00 g Motueka [7.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs 
40.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs 

80.00 g Kohatu [6.80 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs 
80.00 g Motueka [7.60 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs 
40.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs 

And the different part, a split ferment between SO5 and Brett Trois. They're both blowing off at the moment but the Brett smells like a pineapple and mango explosion. cool.

Geez that sounds really interesting Richard...I will be really interested to hear how that turns out as was thinking of using the same hop combo in a pale ale...I have Kohatu but have been discouraged from using it so far after some negative feedback I heard from a few other brewers

Was it the comments about sweaty pineapple pants that put you off? :)

Ha I think that was your comment some time back! Actually more so the feedback I received recently from some local brewers...pineapple sweaty pants....it's hard to glean many positives out of that description! But your still using it so I guess that's a positive. I love the NS and motueka combo so yes, really keen on how this one turns out.

Can't claim that one personally, think it was Martin. I've had a few pale ales from other brewers where it's been used well. If you want tropical fruit flavours, I like it. Everything in it's place though... which is why we paired it with Brett Trois.

Looking for a good hop combo, 1 nz and 1 us, any suggestions? 

Would Simcoe and Nelson be any good in an IPA? any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, on this nz/US Hop mix, I had an oreti Red a couple of months back, and would probably say its my fave Emersons brew (shame its not a year rounder). It also suggests Centennial and a high alpha NZ Hops. I hae assumed Nelson as well. but interested if anyone has had thoughts on what hop it actually is.

I have had luck with N. Sav, Pacifica and Cascade in a mix in a pale ale. Was really tasty and I must rebrew it sometime! I would say N. Sav + cascade would be good.

I was just looking at the fresh wort kit at allgrain and there's a pale by Panhead that says it's cascade and sauvin .. I'd trust that choice

Ha, yeah a jolly good read, regarding that. Thinking about a Centennial and Sauvin red ale. similar to my previous. seems a fair choice, and the Emersons beer I have assumed is the same. best way to figure it out, trial and error time.

Hi all, have brewed a Blue Moon Clone a couple of times - it calls for White Wheat - but have used Pale Wheat instead because I can't seem to find White Wheat anywhere. It has always tasted really good but my OG is always a little off.  I also want to brew a Hoegaarden Clone, which also calls for White Wheat malt; I want to keep it as close to the recipe if I can. Any idea where I can get white wheat from in NZ?  Or is pale wheat a sufficient substitute - similar lovibond.

Cheers   

Anybody got a recipe for a really refreshing bitter dry pilsner, like the Cassells pilsner?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service