Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you like Fullers Porter, there is a good recipe here: http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2318-fuller%E2%80%99s-the-pride-o... 

It uses a fair bit of brown malt with some chocolate, along with 5% crystal 75. I love that beer but it is more of a brown porter than a Robust type. 

Your recipe above looks pretty good, although I would be tempted to sub out some marris otter (maybe 3-5%?) for a little more mid-level crystal like Thomas Fawcett. Then again, I tend to like a bit more sweetness to balance the roast in dark beers than some others who like a more aggressive roast character. 

In my experience brown malt is more like treacle than toffee. I think the toffee notes seem to come more from the darker type crystal malts? 

I'd be wary of that amount of brown malt if you don't like astringency. 

My recent porter uses 80% base + 10% munich  and about 2% chocolate, 4% pale choc and a mix of medium and dark crystal to 6% total.  I added 50g carafa special III to adjust colour.  Then just watch the dark crystal amount - too much can give you deeply caramelised burnt sugar/ bitter rather than smooth sweet caramel toffee.

I haven't tried reducing a portion of the wort down but know others who swear by it.

Missed your post before replying, sorry  - I'd be mixing the 5% crystal,  2.5 each of  medium and dark.

OK so how about this.

Maris otter 85%

light choc 10%

Crystal 60L 2.5%

Crystal 120L 2.5%

Drop your pale choc to 6% raise your base malt to compensate, use a sprinkle (<1%) of black patent or carafa special for colour and you'll be sweet.   And if you like malty sub out 10% of your base for some Munich. 

I found this link which is interesting http://ryanbrews.blogspot.co.nz/2010/11/black-color-without-roast-f.... Could be worth a try to get more colour from the carafa special

Yep - that technique works well - so does cold steeping some black malt overnight in the fridge in a coffee plunger then filtering and tipping it into your boil.  I reckon that with such a small amount it isn't worth the bother.  Give it a go though - nothing like working up your own in-house techniques.  Good luck with it.

Thought I would try it but with 3% got an even darker colour

I'd leave the brown in there, not 100% sure about the amount, but it looks a lot like a Fullers Porter recipe.
Should be good

OK so I will confirm what I have so far come up with: 

5.00 kg

Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)

75.8 %

0.60 kg

Munich Malt (16.0 EBC)

9.1 %

0.40 kg

Chocolate Malt (650.0 EBC)

6.1 %

0.20 kg

Carafa Special II* (Weyermann) (1150.0 EBC) 

3.0 %

0.20 kg

Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (250.0 EBC)

3.0 %

0.20 kg

Caramunich III (Weyermann) (150.0 EBC)

3.0 %

15.00 g

Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

21.8 IBUs

8.00 g

Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

3.9 IBUs

12.00 g

Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min

2.9 IBUs

12.00 g

Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min

8.7 IBUs

1.0 pkg

Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) [124.21 ml]

-

*The Carafa special II will be crushed in a coffee grinder and added on top of the mash after draining and before sparging so as to get colour only

I think that will be fine. Good call by Tilt on the addition of Munich, I was thinking the same. My schwarzbier that drinks like a porter (supping on one now :-) has 2% choc and 5% pale choc, so I think you will achieve your aim with that recipe.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service