Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok I will be honest I tried a Macs Ginger beer,  as did the significant other... and they where consumed quickly.

How do you think they brew this to maintain the sweetness?  pasturise it at bottling?

Hi Guys

Have been really enjoying the Yakima Scarlet lately and decided to try an American Amber Ale next. Some of the recipes online for these didnt really enthuse me so below is my first cut at what I reckon would be half decent.  I know the colour is a bit higher than the recommended range but I wanted a darker deep red. Pale chocolate a bit of a hunch and could equally be Roast but wanted to try a hint of something different. Also want a bit of aroma in there but not sure if I may have over done it?

Would really appreciate any feedback.

Looks good in my newbie opinion, and for my tastes I certainly don't think you've over-done it with the aroma. Yakima Scarlet is 1.066OG and 50IBU and I wouldn't be surprised if it had more late hops too, so yours should be a bit easier drinking (not that I find it hard to drink Yakima Scarlet!!).

On this subject, you might find this thread/recipe interesting; http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/8-wired-pale-ale-7-clo...
Tall Poppy and Yakima Scarlet are two of my favourites at the moment, and I've been thinking of trying something similar to denimglen's recipe there taking on board the hints Soren dropped. Hoppy + red is a winning combo in my books!

Agreed, I've heard good things about Evil Twin, which is a hoppy Red ale from Jamil. If  you google it, it'll give you some good results.

Having had Evil Twin it is awesome! I would have a crack at a clone of that!

Funny you should say that chris, I have links for the so called recipe:.

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

http://s1.zetaboards.com/merrycuss_homebrew/topic/3023374/1/

It's on my list.

Yeah I have that one bookmarked also. Definitely on my list. My Russian River Pale should be next weekend though. Then Stone Self Righteous. This may come after those!

Thanks for that link, I wasnt too far off!,which is good to know.Have made higher OG  IPA's all summer so wanted something a little lighter, hence the 1.052 and 35IBU. I havent tried Tall Poppy yet but might give it a go this weekend for inspiration. Thanks again!

I just got 300g of wai-iti hops and want to do a hop burst pale ale as my second all grain brew (19l batch). I am after suggestions for the grain bill, hop additions, and yeast. After something around 5 - 5.5% ABV.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Base Malt: Maris Otter

Specialty: Carapils (have), Carared , something for malt character

200g hops at 10 mins

50g at flame out

50g dry hop

Using beersmith and this brings it to about 35 IBU. 

I also am after tips on what yeast strain to use. I would prefer liquid yeast to test out my new stir-plate.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions

For mine, Id put a few more specialty grains in, maybe 5% Munich and 5-10% pale crystal?

I assume you are looking for big flavour hence the big 10min addition to try and get your bitterness at same time? If you want big aroma maybe up the 0min addition to 100 - 150 g. Just my thoughts anyway. Throw some US Ale yeast at it and it should be good

Yeast-wise I like White Labs California V if you want to lean it toward an APA. It's a really great yeast with nice fruity dimensions but you need to be able to control the temp because it gets a little much over about 22 degrees.

Thanks for the tips guys. In the end I went with 5% of both Aromatic and Melanoiden, 8% carared, and 6% cara-pils. Hopefully that adds enough maltiness to back up the hefty hop addition. I went with Wyeast 1332 Northwest ale yeast which was recommended to me by Karl Hayes which will hopefully add some maltiness as it is a low attenuator. Temp control is set to 17.5 C. I had to add 50g hops at 30 minutes to get the bitterness up a bit which reduced the 10 min addition to 150g. I am getting an abundance of mango aroma coming from the fermenter. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service