Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I might stick with the lower 0.25kg then. thanks guys, I will be mashing at 69 to try and keep some malty goodness around, but like you say, and from what the CHCH guys say, it eats everything in sight pretty much.

I've never used it before, on the hops, a little go a long way, you think I should change the hops schedule? Any recommendations for this?

If it were me Id try to stay under 20ibu, Probably skip your 60 minute addition and aim for one or two late additions.... Id also skip the dry hop but taste the beer and see if you like it.... every time Ive used 3711 its produced this incredible citrus spice flavor, and then after Ive dry hopped (with as little as 10 grams) that character disappears, I think its unique enough to warrant being left alone.

+1 on keeping the IBUs on the lower side. The massive attenuation really accentuates bitterness.

If it were me Id try to stay under 20ibu, Probably skip your 60 minute addition and aim for one or two late additions.... Id also skip the dry hop but taste the beer and see if you like it.... every time Ive used 3711 its produced this incredible citrus spice flavor, and then after Ive dry hopped (with as little as 10 grams) that character disappears, I think its unique enough to warrant being left alone.

Interesting Adam, I never thought about it that way. I've had one or two dryhopped saisons, and enjoyed it, as I'll be aiming to ferment at higher temperatures. I figured, I'd need some hoppy Goodness?

Do you have any suiggestion for the hops Schedule?

So if i keep it under 20 IBU, I can use 15/10/5 to give it that IBU? and still get a good sauvin amount?

Yeah thats what I was thinking, whatever schedule lets you arrive within your target ibu's should be fine, but lean them late if you want the tropical thing with your Sauvin

The dry hopped saisons Ive made were also really good, and its not wrong to go that way. Its just that this yeast produces an almost hop like zest that will dissappear when you dry hop it. Taste it before you dry hop, if it makes you go WOW! then just have a think about what it is you like in the flavor, and realise that it will drastically change after a dry hop..... Definitely not like a pale ale or ipa where the dry hop just adds to the character. Belgian style aromatics and hops are a tricky thing to balance I rekon. Good luck

tHANKS.

I'm brewing a Lager of sorts this morning, and am currently crushing 

1.25kg Galdfield Pilsner

4.5kg Weyermann Vienna

For a 22L batch I'm wondering about a hopping schedule. I have Pacifica, Sthn x and Hallertau. Any thoughts?

On a whim threw in 18g sthn x @ 60 and 9g Hallertau @ 10

Will see how that works.

Anyone out there done anything with rye? I'm loving Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye these days, and Garage Project's Summer Sommer was a great summer quaffer (if 6-odd% is quaffing territory).

Tips on hop types/regimes/etc greatly appreciated.

i made one tonight, but i dont know how it'll turn out yet, just a small 0.5kg rye malt in it as a partial mash for a saison

So, I've got 1 Saison in, and another one on the cards... As its warm, and I'm being Kicked out of my House for EQC i figured I'd do another one, that way when my garage (with no power) gets to 28 odd degrees, it'll be all good.

So its most definitely not to style as its going to be a partial mash, dark saison...

"The Racist Frenchman"

3kg Light LME

0.5kg Wheat DME

0.2kg Carapils

0.5kg Rye Malt

0.25kg Vienna

0.1kg Chocolate Wheat
50g Carafa II

Wyeast 3711 for yeast, I'll be dumping the wort onto the existing cake..... not sure whether I'll bother washing it yet or not.

14g Nelson for Bittering

45g Saaz @10 &0

Irish moss @10

Fermented for about 3-4weeks depending how on time these builders are.

Based loosely off the mad fermentationist. If anyone has any suggestion, please feel free.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service