Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't used WB-06 so can't really comment on that.  But I have used the Danstar Munich Wheat yeast.  It ferments cleanly, it does a nice job if you're looking for a US style wheat beer.

Not much use if you're looking for the banana/clove esters for a German wheat beer though, so don't let its name fool you.  Munich by name only, in my experience.

WB-06 is good I've used it, warmer gives the banana,and lower gives a clove type taste. I recommend for wheat beers if you don't have liquid

From the reading and yeast comparisons I have done today and on quite a few peoples beliefs that WB-06 is rather similar if not the same strain as Wyeast 3056 so I will make a starter with it and see how it goes, I actually managed to find quite a bit of info on all the dried yeasts and the strains of liquid yeast that they supposedly are, lucky it was a quiet day at work as I spent about 4 hours studying the web

I have this thread on my favourites list because of the dry yeast vs liquid yeast equivalent issue. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dry-yeast-liquid-yeast-equivalents-...

My 2c on WB-06 is that it made my worst all grain beer to date. I wouldn't necessarily write it off as it could have been other faults of mine, although I won't be in a hurry to use it again. From research I did at the time it seems a bit of a halfway wheat yeast and my beer reflected that with the clove esters quite muted. I was using 45% raw wheat(flour) for my recipe.

Someone gave me half a glass of Three Boys Wit the other day and that tasted fantastic. I looked it up and I think 3944 is the yeast.

I might do a split brew and ferment one with each yeast and see how they go, I did read quite a few complaints in the not to distant past about the quality of the fermentis yeasts but apparently they have come forward leaps and bounds, would be interesting to see any differences between them, and of course it means more beer to drink

I've got the Three Boys Wit yeast on plates.  Managed to culture some out the bottom of a bottle, and it produced a fantastic banana aroma, although it would be more appropriate in a Weizen, that my Witbier.

Hi Guys, I made about six A/G pilsners over the cold winter. Was aiming for a bohemian pils style and all were in the 1.050 OG range and about 40IBU. Generally used 95% Malturop Pils or Weyermann with 2.5%ea Carafoam / Caramalt.

Am now tasting these beers and they are really good. The only thing I notice is that they dont really have that same aroma as say a Tuatara Pils or Hop rocker. This is despite some pretty hefty 10min and 0 minute hop additions of Motueka / Sauvin and the like. For a 19L batch I was using about 90-100g of hops and about 40-60 grams in the last 10mins.

I typically use Southern cross for bittering and Mot/ Sauvn/ NZ cascade for flavour and aroma

So my questions are:

- Am I being too light on the aroma hops? or

- Do Tuatara/ Macs actually dry hop their pils to get that aroma?

Ive also heard of guys using more bitterness / flavour hops later in the boil, ie adding all hops at 30 / 15 mins instead of at 60min to get more of the aroma. Does this tend to give better aroma for pilsners?

Interested in comments, cheers

Hi All, didnt get a response to this one yet so thought Id try one more pass on the main page. Really interested to get feedback on the amount of hops Im using for aroma. Cheers

Hi Dan,

I did a few pilsners over the winter, both German and Bohemian. Although I am far from experienced in this matter I would have thought Hop Rocker was on the high side of hoppiness for the style. I downed a six pack of Hop Rocker yesterday so that is fresh in my mind :-) My winter efforts were all bittering and middle hops with nothing after 15 minutes for the Bohemian and 30 for the German. I don't have a lot of experience with late hops but when I have it has only been around 60 grms, those results tell me you would be a little light to get to Hop Rocker levels. I hope someone else chips in to help.

I think the amount of hops that you're using looks about right..  If you're not getting the bright, fresh hop aroma that you're looking for then you could try some of these techniques:

- A little and short dry hop.  Start with 1g/L for 4 days and see if that gives you what you're after.

- How fast are you chilling?  Maybe a faster chill would help trap the more delicate aromas of the late hop additions.

- Aroma hop steep.  

- Whirlpool hop addition.

I'll let you Google the last two.

I prefer the short, dry hop technique.

Thanks guys. I tried a little dry hop on my last "pheudo Lager" and that helped. I avoided this with the "real lagers" as I didnt think it was really a lager thing. Next lager season Ill up the late hops slightly and try a few of Mr C's techniques. Its Ale brewing season for me now and the big IPA's are in the mix. Cheers

Hey all, I'm looking at my next recipe, a Saison, as the hot temperatures are getting there its only seems logical.

Any ideas/recipes you can give out? maybe some medal winners lol. I was looking at using Sauvin and Motueka? Maybe even some Rye Malt from brewshop.co.nz

I know they use /wheat malt as well, so was looking at that too.

I've already decided on the 3711 Yeast.

I'm looking to mash high as well to keep the malt base there, without it getting too thin.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service