Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool yeah I added a litre of 1.050 a few weeks ago and there's some weird shit now starting to grow on the surface. Brilliant!

great news

Great!

Temperature change could be helping too- the pellicle on mine has changed significantly over the last few weeks as spring weather heats up the house. It's gone from spaced out off-white rectangular colonies to a grey bubbly layer of film. Cool. 

Long time Reader first Time Poster:

Doing an ESB for my first all grain to get the hang of things.

4.5kg Maris Otter

0.3 kg Caramalt

E K Goldings 40g @60

E K Goldings 30g @20

E K Goldings 20g @ FO

Wyeast 1028.

10g of Hops Left, what to do with them?

Save it in an airtight container/vacsealed bag. Not really the style for Dry Hopping and you probably want to keep it simple anyways.

I would be tempted to put that 20 min hops in at 30 instead. I only do 60&30 min additions with my ESB's as I have found I like a good dose in the middle. Either way it looks tasty though.

Yeah, the recipe states a 30min addition, but i like the later additions, i think i'll go back to 30 as you say. and yeah no dryhopping, might actually give it to a brew club member he does alot of ESB.

This is my 1st AG but I've done plenty of BIAB and Extract Beer. So I have an idea what I'm doing :) Thanks all.

I have a heap of simcoe hops about 300 grams actually and was thinking about what beer to brew with them as they need to be used, I have done a couple of hoppy IPA's with them but used amarillo and warrior as well, has anyone done a really hoppy brew with simcoe as the only hop or does anyone have any recipe suggestions so I can brew something with a mother load of simcoe?

cheers

What about a SMaSH? easy to do and although I haven't tried Simcoe, I've heard good things...

yeah I was thinking that way until I tasted a dog fish head clone I did recently with simcoe, warrior and amarillo, I went for slightly lower IBU and the finish is orange zest and then goes to grapefruit

I was thinking something along these lines

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.400 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.3 %
0.340 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.9 %
0.050 kg Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 0.9 %
28.000 g Warrior [13.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 39.5 IBUs
0.26 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
114.000 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 6 12.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -
114.000 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Have you tried single hopping with Motueka?

I have, but not a SMaSH though.

Nice hop, love the hop,  but I found the beer I did a bit one dimensional by itself

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service