Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Michael,

I'm in Ranui, just off from the Mungavin shops in Porirua, mind if I come over for a brew day some time? I'm currently 5 brews into my homebrew obsession and haven't been through an AG brew with anyone. Currently using extract with grains, slowly building up to BIAB. Cheers.

Sure thing. Message me with your email addy, and I will send you my address. I start brewing at 0600

Looks tasty Michael - though I have to say I'm partial to 0 min / whirlpool hops @ 1-2g/l in my PAs. 

I am generally partial to a 0 min addition as well. However, I have never gone without one, so want to see how this works with a 10 minute addition. I may increase the dry hop considerably.

Cool - always good bust out of the "standard" to see if there's something else worth doing.  Doing the same with a English PA soon.  All english recipe but fermenting with S05 to see what that does to a fave recipe.  Hope your's brings the goods!

Hi Everyone

I have made a 9 % double IPA 85ibu - it is towards end of ferment. Last time I only used 25grams each of NZ cascade and Motueka in the dry hop. I think it needs more.  I have also got Nelson Sav. Any suggestions on how much of these I should be adding (20l batch) - Cheers Mark

I have no idea what the 'norm' is for a DIPA....But I thought I would push the boat out a few weeks back... and ran into 5g/L each of Cascade and Motueka and about 1g/L Sauvin dry hop for 10 days. I was rewarded for my frivolous use...Tastes awesome,

Come to think of it.... I haven't managed to make a strong IPA that was too hoppy. They always seem a bit feral to begin with but end up balancing out after a week in the keg. 

I do tend to be conservative with my early ibu's in preparation however, so it really depends on your taste and recipe. Did you add any gypsum to the mix? I say go with as much as your budget and balls can endure!

Yeah - there is no such thing as a DIPA that is too hoppy.  You could go Epic style and dry hop once at fermentation temp and again after crash cooling.

Hi - no gypsum - that sounds a good amount - how much would you put in after crash cooling JR?

There was 350grams of hops in the kettle so whats another 120, I recently bought a 3 kg of hops and its going fast at this rate:)

Yeh don't be shy, I just made an 8.4% IIPA, 170 (theoretical) IBUs, which finished at 1.010, with 14grams per litre in the kettle + 8.5gpl dry hopped, and the hop character still doesn't seem to quite pop like I had hoped. This is my second attempt, I think once you get much beyond the 7.5% mark it becomes really difficult to get hops to really shine though all the malt and alcohol. That's my experience anyway, my standard IPA's always seem to have a much brighter and more crisp hop flavour and aroma

The Epic recipe where I am plagiarizing this idea from put in 57g warm then 57g cold (of US Cascade) so you know that up to that amount is sweet and your beer is alot bigger than an Epic pale ale.

I'm keen to brew something along the lines of Bob Hudson's Bitter, a beer I really miss since moving to Wellington a while ago.

So far I'm thinking it might be something like:

90-95% Golden Promise

5-10% Fawcett Pale Crystal (maybe a little caramalt too?)

30 grams of Styrian Goldings at 60,30 and 0.

I've never been able to work out what yeast strain Gailbraiths are using. I've tried both 1469 and 1275 and thought that 1275 was the most similar

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service