Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I taped them up! I've got a Laphroaig 1/4 cask with my "kiwi pils" conditioning at the mo. I did one on the first brew and carbonation wasn't great, but I taped this one up to try and maintain a seal. It's wicked that you guys are helping out. I love experimenting with my cooking and am using the same approach with my brewing, why buy when you can brew right?

No worries mate, feel free to ask any other questions along the way! How to Brew is magical, and you'll find yourself learning so F'ing much as you make your way through it it's outrageous ;P 

What scarrfie said about the extract/boil size :)

Can anyone tell me how a wheat beer comes out using Safbrew wb-06 dry yeast? I've got one in the bottle and looking at making a extract Hefe as my third brew. Someone advised the liquid yeast may not always be fresh, but I thought I'd hear comments from the experts first!

Bloody awful in my experience. It is really a halfway yeast but doesn't really seem to achieve either wheat beer or ale flavour. Perhaps others have tricks to using it but I really didn't find it very nice at all, my worst AG beer. I have done wheat beers with w34/70 and S04, some of which turned out alright.  I have read that windsor can be used for some fruity esters, but I don't think it would be that great either. Hopefully someone else can direct you to a  better dry yeast for your needs.

I used a safbrew US-05 dry yeast for an all grain wheat beer and it came out OK - a Banana sort of flavour. I made it with 2.5kg Wheat and 3.2 kg Pilsen and a 3 stage Mash. I have ordered and am about to use WB-06 Wheat Yeast lets see what the difference is. I have been brewing with a yound German chap that has a degree in Brewing and he seemed quite happy with the Safeale US-05. He called the beer a Bock it was high alcohol about 6.5% - ouch

My experience is that now (as apposed to even only 18months ago) we can get much more fresh liquid yeast here in NZ. The Brew House and Brew Shop are both great, and regularly get new shipments in. I've had liquid yeast as fresh as 6 days old from both of these companies! It does however depend on the strain you're purchasing etc. Haven't used the WB-06 sorry mate, but when it comes to dry yeast you can't look past Nottingham for pretty much anything ;P

Hi - used US 04 on a celtic red - it took off like a rocket and then the head crashed and it has settled to be really clear about 8 days now at 20C but reading is still at 1020 - I would hope this falls further - but not much bubble activity - any ideas??

thanks guys for your replies. I think I'll go for one of the liquid Hefeweizen ale yeasts then. I'll have to decide between the WLP300 and the WLP380. Which would you recommend for a Hefe?

Hey Dean, check out my reply to Edmund on the previous page :)

Excellent. Thanks Kelly!

Hi Dean, 

Are you doing AG or extract? Where in the country are you? I'm in Welly if you want to get together for a brew :) My set up is pretty basic...

Edmund, I'm in Christchurch. Also keen to get together with other locals down here for some tips and just to see what ya doin'....

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service