Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94613

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Put down a golden Ale with a hint of smoke, got a good feeling about this one...

1kg Pilsner
1kg Munich
1kg Marris Otter
500 grams Smoked Malt
300 grams CaraWheat
100 grams CaraMunich II
200 grams Carahell

60 min hops : 15grams Southern Cross
15 min hops : 15 grams Amarillo, 10 grams Williamette
5 min hops : 15 grams Amarillo, 8 grams Williamette
Flame out : 12 grams Amarillo

No chilled, planning on using US-05... This should make a tasty summer ale
Southern England Brown ale this weekend, first extract batch in about 18 months, just wanted something quick and easy (30 min steep and 40 min boil) to fill a keg.

Can't remember quantities.

1.044,17 IBU

Black Rock Pale LME
Crystal
Dark Crystal
Home Toasted malt
Handful of Aussie Pale
Pale Chocolate malt

UK Goldings 30 mins to 17 IBU

Safale S-04
Palliser Bitter - my first all-grain

3.5kg Maris Otter Pale Ale malt
0.4kg Crystal 120L
0.4kg Munich
0.1kg Wheat malt extract (it needed using up and I thought it might help with head retention)
NZ Fuggles at 60, 30 and 10 min to 40 IBUs
Will be dry-hopping in secondary with NZ Styrian Goldings
Safale S-04 dried yeast

As described in another thread I had serious problems with sparging, so I ended up adding a little extra wheat extract, ending up at 1.040 SG instead of 1.043.

No idea what this is going to turn out like but it was off and bubbling madly within 6 hours.

Cheers,

Martin
Just had a wee sample while transferring it to secondary and it's tasting pretty good. Some nice fruitiness with a citrus edge. No obvious signs of infection, so I'm feeling fairly hopeful. I've dry-hopped with NZ Styrian Goldings in the secondary so we'll see how that goes.

SG is down to 1.012 from 1.040 after just 4 days, so that looks good. If it dries out a bit more in the secondary it should be spot on.

So despite all the grief on brew day I'm feeling fairly positive so far.

Martin
"nice fruitiness with a citrus edge"

I like the sound of that Martin - how much did you use in the dry hopping ?
Be interested to hear how it tastes when you bottle
Brewed up a smoked ale yesterday

2.5kg Weyermann Smoked
1kg Maris Otter
300 grams Carawheat
250 grams CaraMunich II
250 grams Dark Crystal
100 grams Chocolate

60 mins : 20 grams Nugget
20 mins : 20 grams Goldings, 10 grams Fuggles
10 mins : 10 grams Styrian
Flame out : 15 grams Styrian

No chilled, going to pitch some Muntons gold yeast when I get home tonight...
Not brewing, but bottled 43L of lager today. Thank god that's over. Just enough time to be fully carbonated for the comp. My pilsener has just spent 3 weeks lagering, tastes great and is expectionally clear. Looking forward to this one.
I know the feeling I bottled 50L last night, half lager, half ale, finished about 1am and pretty cut by then :)
Tonights brew: Just got a fresh kg of Nz Hallertau and decided to use around 200 grams for a 25 litre brew.
30grams first wort hop, 10g at 90 mins, 50g at 15 mins, 50 grams at 10 mins 60g at flameout or should I say element off, I have a stainless steel pot scrubber shoved behind the tap to dry hop later when fermentation is nearing its end.
Im hoping it will be reasonably hoppy!
Second all-grain batch is yet another Altbier. People might think I'm obsessed.

3.5kg Pilsner
0.75kg Munich
0.75kg Vienna
0.25kg Crystal 120L
0.25kg Caramunich
Galena for bittering (I had some that needed using up), NZ Hallertauer for flavour. 45 IBUs, OG 1.048.

Mash & sparge went much better this time. Only flirted with a stuck sparge once, and a blow back up the runoff tube cleared that up. I'm no-chilling so I'll pitch yeast tomorrow. There's a smack-pack of Wyeast 1007 German Ale swelling nicely in the kitchen at the moment.

Cheers,

Martin
This weekend, the 2nd of 4 porters before Christmas.
All have a Pale & crystal base. The first with Pale Chocolate, this one with Pale & regular Chocolate & a touch of Roast Barley.
The 3rd is a bit of Brown with some Chocolate and the 4th is NZ Hops Porter using Amber http://www.nzhops.co.nz/recipes/strongporter.html
The bambule brewing renaissance continues,

The oktoberfest/mearzen is looking the goods, with the southerly coming in maintaining the temp at a slightly sub optimal 14 deg. As could be expected from a 12 month old yeast it took 3 days to get going but now its as steady as Ol' faithful the geyser.

Next up was a crack at a stock standard best bitter to greet the arrival of my first sack of Maris Otter
5kg Maris Otter
0.5kg Crystal
100g chocolate
NZ Goldings to 35 IBUs. And a handful of left over Fuggles at flame out.
SA04.
Came up smiling at 1.044 using bacth sparging for the first time in a while.
Crashed back down to earth when the hose from my copper cooling coil came off and poured about 7L of water straight into the kettle! I'd struggle to call it a mild now. I may have some use for it over summer. I lost some sleep that night!

Now on to the Bambule APA, read through some advice form a previous thread to come up with
5.25kg maris otter
0.5kg Munich
0.5kg Crystal
0.25kg wheat
10g sauvin @60
60g NZ cascade @15
40g NZ cascade @1
US05 yeast., aiming for 1.056 and about 45-50 IBUs
I've fool proofed my cooling set up now... I hope.
Cheers
What's brewing ?
Batch 634 last night in amongst the dometic & family chores, Brown O'Clock Brown Beer by Bad Pactice, Shabby Technique Brewery
The domestic rugby season has been a bit hard on supplies so I need an extra brew in a hurry
I can't brew this Sunday, I'll be at the airport watching the Wellington team arrive back with their first trophy for the season
The original extract brew was tops when I first brewed it, but I never brewed it again as is, I was told NEVER to use sugar
So finally back to the original, nearly
3kg LME
350gm brown Sugar
320 Pale
200 Medium Crystal
80 Chocolate
30 Willamette @ 60
20 Super Alpha @ 15
25 litres in the fermenter @ 1.042 with W1275 for a nice 4% quaffer for the quarter / semi / finals weekends

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service