Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How'd you go with it?

Im liking this grain business and looking to increase my grain bill for my next partial mash. I currently only have a 16L pot and wondering how much grain I could do for a BIAB. By my calcs, 4kg ground grain would fill about half the pot (dry). If I use a water-to-grist ratio of 4L/kg then Im in trouble. Im thinking of trying 3 kg and 12L water. Im picking that the grain will absorb a fair bit of the water so I shouldnt get an overfill?? Appreciate anyone's advise here on what my max grain bill could be for the 16L pot.  Thanks,

I BIAB in a 13L pot and generally brew batches with about 3kg to 3.5kg of grain.  I use the Can I Mash It tool here http://rackers.org/calcs.shtml/ to give me an idea of what I can fit in the pot.

Hope that helps

Andy

Check out this calc Dan, http://rackers.org/calcs.shtml/

Thanks Guys, Great link!!

Do you think my water-to-grist ratio is about right at 4L/kg or could I get away with a little less than this. I can make 4kg malt work in my pot using  about 3 -3.5???

thanks again for your help

I ususally use much less than that, about 2.6L per kg, in my mash.  That's the metric equivalent of about 1.25 quarts/pound I think.  As far as I understand it the mash thickness is pretty unimportant (correct me if I'm wrong everyone) so I think anywhere between 3L/kg and 4L/kg will be fine.

Andy

A low liquor to grist ratio will give a slightly less fermentable wort with lower pH resulting in a sweeter, more dextrinous beer.  

A high ratio will produce a slightly more fermentable wort and resulting slightly higher alcohol, thinner & drier beer.  

The grain bill will play a big part in this also so it's a bit of a juggling act.

When I was mashing in a chilli-bin I would mash in quite low, around 2.3L/kg.  This initially produces a thick mash with a lower pH and allowed for the addition of hot water to control the mash temp during the 60 min mash.

I heard some say recently (I think it was Jamil Zainasheff in one of his podcasts) that although the mash thickness has an effect on fermentability, the mash temperature has a much bigger effect and that for the average homebrewer it's not worth stressing about mash thickness because in the scheme of things it's pretty unimportant.

I figure anything that can reduce the number of variables to worry about on brew day is a good thing :-)

I agree.  My mash thickness is driven by the size of my mash tun.  Mash temp and grain selection are what I use to control the fermentability of my beers.

Hi Dan

Check out this website, www.biabbrewer.info/

You need to sign up to them first, but there is a spreadsheet that is downloadable which enables you to put your pot diameter etc in and will calculate grain volumes, water etc. They are very helpful. Cheers

Thanks to all for replies

Once again I have learnt a shed load from this forum

Cheers

sorry, couldn't access website from work but here's the proper link

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=189

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service