Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't worry about it, I mashed a degree hotter than you! It will prob finish a little higher than you expect but should taste good. I've been purposely mashing hotter this weekend to get some residual sweetness going on.
True that. i'll put it down to first time anyway hahaha

Planned  brew  -   Pacific Partner NZ IPA

Mash:

5.1kg Thomas Fawcett floor malted Maris    (+- 70gram)

260gram Fawcetts medium crystal (+- 5 gram)

35gram black malt (I have 35, book said 30, how much should I use)

According to book Strike temp 76 degrees, mash temp 66 degrees

Total Liquor 37.5L

Mash Liquor 13.5L

Pre-boil volume 32 litres for 23 litre batch

In Boil

Pacific Jade 14g 90mins

NZ Nelson Sauvin 12g 30mins

No protofloc at 15min yet (haven't got any yet)

NZ Willamette 8g 10mins

Suggested yeast options (not chosen yet) DCL -S04 , WLP - 023 , WY - 1028

Does this sound ok? 

Cheers

My local Homebrew shop The Brew House has lots of hops, but only has the hops for one of my recipes, Liberty brewing looks like they have all or most of the hops though, looks like I'll finally have to get internet banking so I can try them! Looks like they have a good collection
Liberty are a great source for your brewing needs - they have most things and for me only 10 mins down the road:))

An "Australian Pale Ale" for a radio homebrew series with Simon Morton of This Way Up on RadioNZ.

I'm going to jazz it up a little bit, I don't want 40L of Cooper's Original Pale Ale. It'd be cheaper for me to buy a few crates of the tallies...

Did you get some Aussie Pride for this one  Stu ?
Stu - Let me know if you need some Coopers dried yeast. I have approx 6 in my fridge and I'm pretty sure they've reached their "best after" date :)

jazzing it up with a mild dose of nz hops and S04...

but thanks for your thoughts ;-)

Busted this out yesterday under the beautiful Auckland sunshine. Pitched a massive glob of 3058 from my Dunkleweizen, and it had a huge krausen after about an hour. Looking forward to indulging soon!

Jamil's Weizenbock (Trick or Treat Bock)
Size: 6 gal

OG: 1.070 
IBUs: 23

Ingredients:
2.26 kg Pilsner Malt (Organic)
4.53 kg Dark Wheat Malt
.9 kg Munich TYPE I
.227 kg Special B Malt
.227 kg Crystal 65
.113 kg Pale Chocolate Malt
30.0 g Hallertauer Tradition (6.0%) - 60 min

A Duvel Clone a few months ago. With Weyermann Pils, Acidulated and some Dextrose. Wyeast 1388 Styrian G, Czech Saaz.
Overnight mash to finish dry, dry, dry... finished 1.002 and tasted like nectar.
Started at 18 C, then slowly ramped to 20, then finished at around 27 C for the last few points attn. Yes, that was a tad too high, I learned a considerable amount though about ester and her friend phenolic. The temp was actually ok I think but I ramped too soon.

Turned out awesome but next time I will restrain ramping the fermentation somewhat and it will go something like this:
start 18 C(1.072) , ramp to 20 over 4 days, add sugar, slowly ramp to 23 over next 6-7 days. For the last few points ramp to 24 C.
I under carbed this batch at only 3 vols. Next time 4 vols.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service