Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

am still waiting for my 1070 ale with t-58 to dry out! still tasting pretty sweet to me (and sweet in a not-good way). but only been bottles for 3 months so am prepared to be patient. of course it could have been a mashing fault but my notes wouldn't indicate anything drastically went wrong.
what was the final gravity?
1014. not overly high for a beer of that starting gravity i didn't think. admittedly haven't tasted a bottle for about two months. i'm happy to keep waiting. if it still tastes like cr*p at 1 year then i'll ditch it....
you can culture a yeast starter from a bottle of chimay or a bottle of duval, really easy to do and usually successful. i've got something brewing at the moment with a chimay starter, smells estery and phenolic which is probably what you're after
Dennis at Dunedin Malthouse has a few different Belgian Style liquid yeasts.
Ive made some ok beers using the 'Abbey' yeast. No notcible "off" flavours, as i used bigish starters and fermented at the lower end for the yeast (18-19). Im sure if you stressed it out a little it would provide more 'interesting' flavours?
Give Dennis a call, he has an 0800 number and will deliver.
Thanks for the advice guys, that should get me startet!
daughter is crook and off school today and i drew the long straw and get to stay home. in and around making chicken noodle soup, i figure i might as well put down the first lager of the winter.

Franconian Dunkel
3.75kg Munich typ II
400g Caramunich III
50g Carafa I
NZ Pacific Hall at 45 mins, 15 and 5, to 27IBU total.
fermenting with 2x 11g packs s-189 swiss lager yeast.
roughly inspired by this blog post below (a beer i don't know) and also Klosterbraeu Braunbier (Bamberg, one I have had), though i don't want something that is almost black so have cut back on the carafa: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2008/04/josef-schneider-essing.html
s-189? Didn't know there were other Saflagers, what's it like compared to the s-23?
only used it once but it's very clean, lighter than the 34/70 (ie. i think it attenuates more). but others may have views too.....s23 i'm not so familiar with, i am planning on giving it another crack later this winter. when i did use it i was actually pretty happy with the results, i didn't mind the little bit of fruitiness it seemed to add.
that beer looked awesome - definitely some inspiration to start brewing lagers. it's only just getting cold enough now though, still got ales on the go.
Its been plenty cold in Christchurch for lagers since about 3 weeks ago, I timed my first Pilsner perfectly, brewing the afternoon it snowed! Question though- it fermented for about 5 days at 10-12 degrees, then the weather warmed up and it reached around 15C for a couple of days at the end of primary (though dropped back to 12 before I racked to secondary). How much would this have affected the diacetyl/ester production, or did I just get a perfectly timed diacetyl rest?
i don't think 15C should affect things too much - i think the saf lagers tolerate this ok. not entirely sure, but i think diacetyl rest is around 20C.

been way too warm in palmy, although it's supposed to get really cold soon

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service