Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

cheers Llew...

All we have to do is get through 50,000 labels so that we can add "Drink at 10c+" to the label!!  and then we need to think about how we get bars to serve it that way... perhaps they all need a personalised rex fridge?

I'm surprised. I''m not normally into strong beers on handpump the Rex I was drinking at home last week was served that way and it is the best I've ever had it.  I think we might do package barrel-aged rex that way.

I think you must have a magic touch that way Stu...

I prefer Hud-a-wa' on handpull as well.  The smooth, creamy texture and wamer serving temperature just go so well with the sweetness and viscocity of that beer.

Hydrometer sample of a the house pale.

late last week I was weighing out the hops for last weekends Lil Darkie and had 45gm Motueka left in the bag and 10g hallertau in a little bag.

Righto I thought, what would the house pale be like with a bit more zing .... so 5 days later the result is good enough to take two hydrometer samples of ... and consider a third

I've got to admit that I haven't dry hopped for ages and when I did I was racking and dry hopping cold. This is dry hopping in primary and warm and I'm a convert.

Now I've got a good green mat of hops on top of my ale and I'm at about where I want to be FG wise - so I'll pop it on the garage floor and hope that they drop like bricks

Thanks for the good advice

cheers, jt

What am i drinking well im kind of eating it , some freshly caught Kahawai that has been soaking in Rex overnight and smoked about an hour ago , my smoking skills tonight were pretty shit as it's pissing down in Upper Hutt , but the general idea worked a treat and every man / woman who loves his/her Kaimoana  loves smoked Kahawai  , thanks for the Idea Rex

that sounds like a damn tasty combo. I love fresh smoked Kahawai!
mate... sounds like we should do some sort of swap.
Yup - I'd have some of that too.  Sounds delicious.
Good stuff jt. Dry hopping warm gives a very different result than dry hopping cold. I recently dry hopped warm followed by cold with a sneaky taste in between. I much prefer warm dry hopping and only for 5 days too. The hops seem to start losing their fresh upliftingness from 5 days onwards I reckon.
Yea, my 5 days are up today. i popped the fermenter on the garage floor last night and it was down to 14C this morning and the mat of hops is dropping down through the wort. Hopefully this mornings southerly will help drop the temp - and the hops - a bit further
Sounds good. I usually go for 5 days warm dry hop followed by 2 days cold (2-3c) or, if I'm not cold crashing, 5 days warm then straight into the keg. As far as the hop flavor and aroma goes, the two days cold doesn't seem make a noticeable difference.

days warm then keg - how do you cope with all the hop material or is it all still matted on top at that stage ?
I don't have a fridge to crash cool, so I wonder how long it'll take to drop out all that hop material

cheers,jt

I gently rock the fermenter (just one rock) 1-3 times a day which immediately frees some of them and they start sinking. I remember seeing it happen when I was fermenting in carboys.

I'm not afraid of getting some in the keg either. They settle out pretty quick in there and either stick to the bottom or come out in the first few hazy pours.

Gelatine might help too if you're worried about it. Maybe?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service