Caramunich II 0.75Kg (7.7%)

Chocolate 0.10Kg (1.0%)

Northern Brewer 20g @ 60min (14.8 IBU)

Northern Brewer 85g @ 15min (16.8 IBU) 

Northern Brewer 85g @ flameout (0 IBU)

Mashed at 68C, fermented at 17C with Wyeast 2112 California Lager

OG 1.058

FG 1.012

~6% ABV (despite what it says on the label)

Carbonated a bit higher than usual as per the style, this only went into the keg a week ago so best to leave in yer fridge for a couple more weeks if you can...

Malty woody nuggets of joy to you all

Views: 287

Replies to This Discussion

first steam beer for me also... carbonation was perfect for me, poured a nice thick off white head that lasted perfectly..

As to the aroma and flavours... well again, all very new to me so it was a nice enjoyable experience and an experience it was...

All in all I loved it .. well done mate and thanks for the swap..

Had half of this last night, plans changed so had to wait until tonight to finish it off. In a way that's fine as I got two goes at this awesome beer! Pours crystal clear, lovely rich brown colour with a nice fluffy white head. Aroma of sweet malts and something a little fruity. Love the flavour, sweet malty goodness, some chocolate notes and then the hop bitterness kicks in to cut through and leave me wanting to go back for another go. Great work mate, really enjoying this beer, obviously really well brewed with a clean ferment. I reckon you've hooked a few on here to start brewing this style, myself included!
What a good looking drop this is - clear as cut glass and an attractive light bottle brown.  I get lightly caramelised sugar, smooth  cocoa and a wee whiff of sweet/tart berry - like a german pastry I had once in Frankfurt.  Taste for me is confusing, there's a warm richness but the bitterness and crisp finish leave nothing in the mouth to coat the tongue - bewildering as its a bit of a contradiction.  Having said that I think this is great and I want to brew one as a leader into winter weight stouts and porters but lingering with the last taste of summer blondes and lagers... This is a glorious drop Brewsci, thank you for continuing my beer education with this one.
Ha, Im not sure I could claim credit for contributing to your education, its the first time weve brewed this style so I couldnt tell you how representative it is. I was happy with how the beer turned out though, given the whack of specialities and intense woodiness of the hops I found it getting better as it conditioned right down to the last glass (which disappeared last w/e). I agree it makes a good autumnal drop, shame its all gone!

Had myself a Cleveland Steamer last night. Then I had a beer ;) If you didn't get that.... google Cleveland Steamer and look at the description on Urban Dictionary!

I can only copy the comments as far as appearance and maltiness goes, I liked that. Now for the bad news, I may have got a duff bottle. I've never had a bad beer from you so I,m putting it down to that because mine had a bit of a soapy taste and definietly had acetaldehyde on the nose.

Thanks for your big brown Cleveland Steamer!

Cellar temp...

Pours a dark amber with a fluffy white head. Subtle esters and nice lightly fruity, sappy combination of malt and hop. Beautifully balanced nose that suggests I drink it rather than sit around sniffing it all day... I like that in a beer. It's excellent in the mouth: perfect carbonation, rich caramel malts, weighty mouthfeel, a nice little hint of fruit and nut chocolate... herbal, slightly piny note from the hops. The finish is fairly sweet but with enough bitterness to hold everything together. Very very moreish...

If I was to suggest anything it would be to aim for a slightly drier finish. Last beer of the swap for me and certainly one of the best.

Slainte mhath

Stu

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service