Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I guess CS's are the most benefit to the less experienced brewers such as moi - a chance to get some honest feedback from other brewers.

My entry was inspired by a passionfruit Creme Brule - recipe below:

Passionfruit Creme Brule Pale Ale
English PA

Recipe Specs
--------------------
Batch Size (L):           24.0
Total Grain (kg):         4.761
Total Hops (g):           154.00
Original Gravity (OG):    1.045 
Final Gravity (FG):       1.014
Colour (SRM):             10.5   (EBC): 20.7
Bitterness (IBU):         47.2   (Average) 87 (no chill +15min adjustment)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes):      60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.285 kg Golden Promise Malt (90%)
0.238 kg Caraaroma (5%)
0.238 kg Carared (5%)

Hop Bill
------------
18.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
16.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
16.0 g Rakau Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
16.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
16.0 g Rakau Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
16.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
16.0 g Rakau Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
40.0 g Rakau Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
------------
5.0 g Irish Moss @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with Safale US-05

Made me a chiller now for my next brew - doing my head in with bitterness calculations for no-chill. The figures with the extra 15min boil time to adjust for no-chill seems OTT.

This one has been in the bottle for about a month now - so drink up ladies.

Views: 238

Replies to This Discussion

Pours a murky amber with off-white head.
Amazing on the nose, passionfruit and grapefruit citrus with a hint of malt, holds a lot of promise!
Up front it's plenty bitter, but it's like the malt completely disappeared! Great hop profile, bitterness and flavor but nothing for it to play with and balance against.

You're obviously doing a lot of right things, it's well fermented and I wouldn't be concerned at the bitterness level at all - I'm a no-chiller too, the bitterness is firm but not overpowering or harsh in any way. The flavor additions shine through as does the aroma/dry hop.
What's missing is the malt. And to me the recipe looks fine, there should be plenty.

It seems to me you might actually not be getting full conversion, I'd do a starch test and maybe check your ph if you have the means. Starch might account for some of the murkiness too eh.

All in all it was still a nice drop, I only wish it tasted like it smelled. Let us know how you get on troubleshooting this one.

I have nothing to add that others haven't already said. I loved the hop profile of your beer but I'm mystified as to where the malt went as there should be plenty according to your recipe. Maybe increase your mash temp or check the accuracy of your thermometer and that you aren't losing temperature over the duration of your mash. There are plenty of suggestions from BIAB expert to follow for clearer beer.

Thanks for sharing, you have got me inspired to experiment with Rakau again!

Cellar temp.  Bright rose gold... Very kiwi nose of tropical fruit, a bit of spice, and a hint of woodiness.... in the mouth it is similar with a caramel malt underneath.  It's dry, a little oxidised, and both bitter and astringent... very dry.  he combination is a bit too much. At first I was convinced that the astringency was tannins but after a few sips I wondered if it was just oxidation and harsh hops.  It's really not that easy to tell unless you know the process inside out.

After reading through your notes I do notice that I did leave it a bit long to drink... sorry.  It's got real potential, so don't let my comments get you down (especially if everyone else has loved it - I've not looked). Just a tweak or two for more balance - and give it to someone who'll drink it a bit quicker (Sorry, I was out of town for a few days and then out of the country for a week!).  I'd say this is much better than my early brews... much much much better!

Enjoyed this a couple weeks ago, Ive been busy with schoolwork and just getting to my little stack of notes now.
Aroma reminded me of a tropical flavored Juicie (the frozen juice treats). Bitter, resinous and dry mouthfeel, some tripical fruit hops with some toffee coming through. Cheers John !

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service