Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

A wee while down the track but are there any willing placegetters or medallists from NHC 2010 who are happy to share their recipes in the spirit of inspiring up-and-comers or plain wannabes?

The judging comments seemed to point towards a lower standard of entries as a whole last year - but there must have been some gems with new and interesting innovations amongst the rabble ....lets hear about them for the sake of lifting the bar in 2011! 

Views: 2207

Replies to This Discussion

Happy too, considering I owe a lot to those who helped with the recipe.

Black IPA
BJCP 23: Specialty beer
Silver Medal

24L @ 1.058
5.00 kg Kolsch Cologne Malt 78.74 %
0.60 kg Munich Malt 9.45 %
0.30 kg Pale Crystal 90 4.72 %
0.30 kg Pale Chocolate 4.72 %
0.15 kg Chocolate Malt 2.36 %

15.00 gm Pacific Jade [11.60 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [7.50 %] (20 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [7.50 %] (10 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
62.00 gm Cascade [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
62.00 gm Cascade [7.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
100.00 gm Cascade [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days
1.00 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 15.0 min)
Yeast: US-05
60IBU
6% ABV
FG 1.014

Would I change anything? Don't think so, I loved this beer.

Thanks Matthew appreciate you sharing the goods - that looks a fine drop with hefty and rising use of a single hop over time.  Its interesting to see the relativley even distribution of IBUs over the boil.  Were they US or NZ Cascade?

I have to qualify that I place myself firmly in the "wannabe" camp for last year - so have nothing to share other than things to improve on. But I''ve since adjusted my process and hoping for a better showing in 2011.

All of mine are in the "What are you brewing" thread already, nothing to hide! :)

NZ Pils got a Silver (hop rocker clone) and US Coal a bronze (and that was a f**k up!).

Cool, thanks James - will go back to the WAYB thread and hunt them up.  Hope you don't mind if I link to them from here.  I've found previous Recipe Exchange threads really useful to see what award winning brewers and recipes do with locally available ingredients.  The NHC medals help filter the good ones from the "works in progress".

James P US Coal

Just checking I found the right one before linking to James' Hop Rocker clone.

From the source - James P's medal winning NZ Pils with a little extra vital process info from the brewer himself!! post link

NZ Pils

92% Pils
3% Carapils
3% Crystal
2% Melanoidin

Riwaka all the way to 35IBU
W4/70

All my lager ferments are @ 12C for three weeks, then 4C for four weeks. I lager @ 4C in my kegs, and usually look at drinking anywhere from the 4 ~ 8 week duration to let them mellow.

OG was 1052, FG 1008

Sorry that is W34/70
But an interesting fuckup, and one I enjoyed the leftover bottle of immensely when I stopped having to analyse it. Sure it was flawed, but some of the best beers are.
Wish I could fuck up like that once in a while!

Cheers Greig, that beer nearly didn't make it into the competition as I was over analysing it... but my wife told me to stop being anal about my beers and get some feedback from someone else who actually knows beer!

The worst performer of my beers I knew was too flawed (scored a 0 as in infected), but had to get a decision on what type of contamination it had. I was glad to get the confirmation of the issue from the judges so that I knew I was on the right track!

Just saw this thread.

Here's a link to a Belgian Blonde recipe that I got a gold medal for, enjoy:

http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/1500433:Topic:8?commen...

Personally, I'd reduce the inverted sugar next time down to about two thirds of what the recipe says.

Just saw your reply Mr Cherry,

Thanks for posting the link.  Its always good to know how recipes posted in the main threads do once conditioned and tasted - even better if they've been entered in comps.

Another one to add to the to brew list as I'm particularly interested to get to know the flavours the inverted sugar adds...and looking forward to trying some Mot I've got stashed away for this one!

Cheers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service