Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Based on the Brewing Classic styles recipe. Not an overly adventurous beer but I hope y'all enjoy it.
Finished a little drier than I had hoped, I think the malt would have come through a bit juicier at around 1.012. Ive never tried an altbier so I have nothing to compare this too, but I'm loving the subtle caramel and roast flavours. Goes down pretty easy.

Enjoy !

19 L Batch
1.050 SG
1.010 FG
5.2% ABV
46 IBU
12 SRM

3.3kg Weyermann Premium Pils
800g Munich
410g Aromatic
230g Caramunich 3
85g Carafa 1

42IBU NZ Hallertau Aroma @ 60 mins
21g German Tettnang @ 15 mins

US-05 at 16 degrees

Views: 102

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the comments everybody.

RE. the Diacetyl Stu and Martin, thanks for pointing this out..Diacetyl is something ive not been able to put my finger on yet...pretty sure I have DMS figured out but not this. I guess its hard to pick up behind caramel type malts when you dont know what your looking for or what the recipe is meant to taste like. I wish I had kept a bottle back so I could try and figure it out. Not sure where I went wrong there, any ideas ? it was fermented at 16 degrees for about three weeks with the last few days bumped up to 19, then spent 4 weeks in the keg at about 5 degrees before being bottled.

Definatly keen to try with an Alt yeast next time, I did really enjoy this beer, the US05 was more of a budget thing/ testing the waters with the recipe first.

Shared with brother.

Pours a deep amber brown, lovely looking beer. Off-white head that dissipates to a thin but lasting foam.

I'd had a couple of hoppy beers already so focused on drinking this one rather than analysing too closely.

Really good balance to the beer, malt dominant but not sweet. Toasty raisiny notes and refreshing finish. I really enjoyed it, brother likewise.

Nice work, good first case swap effort Matt!

Very nice beer mate, I havnt tried many Altbiers so this is quite a new style for me..

the coloring is very nice and a deep amber color, nice head, carbonated well.

Aroma and flavour is sensational, a nicely malt driven beer which is perfectly balanced all round..

I too get the diacetyl but it doesnt demote the experience for me..

Thanks Matt, great work !

Thanks doods, glad you enjoyed it !

Just drinking this.

Presents beautifully.

Quite a lot going on in the nose... But that diacetyl is lingering in there. I seem to be noticing it more than James, who picks it up more in the mouthfeel. I'm getting olivio on toast in the nose, with buttered popcorn sort of smells, whereas James first noted dark berry fruit.

Milk choc in the taste, with a interesting little bit of tartness, like a tart rasberry? Nice. The diacetyl doesn't take much away from the taste.

Very rich clingy mouthfeel, and paired with an interestingly dry finish which I'm enjoying.

Thanks for the beer mate, I'm interested in trying some more alts now.

Can't add much to the other comments, loved the toffee, caramel notes and it had an almost orangey undertone which I think complimented it well. You've got some good feedback so far so I'll waste time retyping and just say thanks for the beer Matt. I enjoyed it very much and it complimented last nights episode of Wipeout perfectly.

I've never drank an Altbier before either, so I can't really comment on the style.

I think the others have covered all the bases, apart from saying I'm enjoying it, and thanks!

Good on ya bro, hope you're enjoying the swap as much as me!

Thanks guys. And Stu yeh most definitely enjoying it, it's been awesome. Cheers !

First Altbier for me too Matt - thanks for entering it.  This beer is as much an education in picking diacetyl for me as appreciating the effort you've put into brewing this and doing something less usual for the CS.  I have to say that, although I get a little of the slickness in the mouthfeel and rounded taste it doesn't distract from this fine looking and tasting beer for me. 

I'm finding the dark biscuity and solid bitterness of this style damned fine - and leads me towards the bookshelf to check out Jamil's and Randy's tomes for ideas of how I might have a crack at it myself.

Cheers Matt - enjoying this on a miserable, wet Friday night at home looking after the kids.

Thanks Tilt. Good to know my Diacetyl problem is of use ! I just wish I kept back a bottle so I could give myself the same lesson. Funny this is most peoples first altbier, when they try a proper one they'll be wondering where all the butterscotch is

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service