Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Okay, so it's really Jamil's from Classic Brewing Styles. 

I thought I better post this, because it's a bottle conditioned number, and I only bottled it two days ago (7th of April).... Best to not open it till it feels carbed. Could probably deal with a week in the fridge too (upright) if ya wanna be a real pedant.

Enjoy!

American Stout
13-E American Stout
Author: Jamil

Size: 6.0 gal

Original Gravity: 1.074
Bitterness: 74.1 (35.0 - 75.0)

Ingredients:
7 kg NZ 2-row (I think I saw Mike using malt from the "NZ Pilsner" bucket.
.35 kg Chocolate Malt
350 g Crystal 75
.45 kg Roast Barley
33.0 g Warrior (16.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
26.0 g Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

ferment at 19degrees with 2nd gen US05.

Views: 139

Replies to This Discussion

Cheers dude! Yeh I agree, 8-10 degrees is probably about right
I let this one warm up to around 8-10 degrees before pouring. Low carbonation so I poured hard to get a small beige head which left a nice lace. Very clear as i get to the bottom of the glass and a bit of light is allowed through.

I got dark chocolate and a hint of natural vanilla essence (the alcoholic type) on the nose.

Nicely balanced, tending towards the thin side, although this could be because I found the roasted malts to be quite drying. Overall a nice warming beer and a great nightcap.

Thanks Stu !

This review is nearly a week old, we enjoyed this with Andrews stout back to back. The review was done by committee with a few craft beer noobs, though all were very open minded and enthusiastic (and well versed in the art of downing more popular alcoholic beverages)... some quotes:

Beer pours filthy black 

Appropriately few bubbles 

Sweet roasty aroma

Chocolate and roasty in flavour becoming more prominent and 'burnt' as beer warms

Fairly bitter finish that combined with the strong, verging on astringent, roastiness would make it a 'night cap/small doses' beer 

Overall impression: a tasty stout on the roasty side of things

cheers mate!

Deep black with minimal head from the tame pour I gave this one.  The first aroma I get is cherry ripe - fruity with a dense dark roasty chocolate backgound.  This is smelling glorious! 

Smooth long lighter roast flavours throughout the palate with a slight sweetness and simultaneously a wee hint of an acrid finish.   There's a warming alcohol presence but all in keeping with the flavours and aromatics. 

What a cracking stout - this goes to the top of my list for favourite beers so far on the swap.  The mouthfeel is smooth and has a bit of heft but isn't syrupy at all.

Coming back to my first comment about a month ago - I am definitely going to brew this one.  Thanks for this Stu - well brewed in my book for sure.  Cheers

Just finishing this one up now, and I'm enjoying it. Very dense black in the glass, zero head. Chocolatey roast aroma. On the palate it's dark through and through - chocolate and roast coming in strong with a full body to it that makes it almost chewy. The carbonation is very low, but there's still a nice tingle on the tongue. Bitterness is good to balance the big body. Some alcohol warmth in the chest, which suits the crappy weather outside pretty well.

Overall very enjoyable thanks Stu.

I got very low carbonation, but weighing that up with other beers from the swap, it seems that a low carb is desired..?

Okay, um... black as all hell, mild on the flavours at first but the hops start to come through and the bitterness kicks in...

A great beer indeed, and makes you a little weak in the knees if you already had a few...

Thanks for the swap Stu.. could drink a few more of these..

Cheers \m/

Had this one last night Stu, a cold Wellington evening and it was just what I needed. Nice looking black on the pour, a thin coffee/tan head. Some nice stout like aromas, chocolate and coffee. Didn't pick up the late hops as much as I expected too. I thought it came across as kind of like a dry stout until it warmed up and the hops came through a little more. Nice clean beer with good bitterness and balanced well with the dark malts. I didn't pick the high alcohol in this either, really easy to drink. Cheers
Pours black with a two finger tan head which doesnt last but leaves primo lacing. Roasty aroma, hints of ash and strawberry chocolate. Rich malt up front before that roasty bitterness kicks in, a hint of citrus in the finish! A little warm feeling but then I guess that might be cos Im drinking it like its a 4% quaffer its that delicious ;)
Pours bright clear but opaque inky black with 2 fingers of tan head. Got the whole bottle off the lees, in fact before reading it was bottle conditioned I thought it had been bottled from the keg.

Roast and dark choccy on the nose.

Sweet complex malty caramel, some fruity raisin/sultana character, then a big wallop of roasty chocolate goodness.
I'm with Stu, to me the more subtle roast barley makes this feel more like a porter as I'm drinking it, reminiscent of Elemental. The finish tastes like you added cocoa nibs, maybe my palette is getting that as the roasty flavours mixed with centennial and the firm bitterness, I dunno.

Whatever it is it works, lovely smooth flavouful beer, well balanced tending roasty bitter, beautiful finish. You've hidden the booze bloody well too Stu, sign of a well brewed beer.
Nice work!

Served at 10 degrees and we enjoyed this one more and more as it warmed up. Fashionably low carbonation. Initially only the roast and coffee flavours showed though with a touch of asstringancy. As it got warmer some fruits started to pop up. Raisin and a little chocolate showing through. Nice colour and appearence though i am only noticing it at the bottom of the glass (as with all stouts, not when eveything starts to look good). Nice and dark with red highlights.

Cheers!

Jimmy & Richard

Good on ya fellas!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service