Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Based on the Brewing Classic styles recipe. Not an overly adventurous beer but I hope y'all enjoy it.
Finished a little drier than I had hoped, I think the malt would have come through a bit juicier at around 1.012. Ive never tried an altbier so I have nothing to compare this too, but I'm loving the subtle caramel and roast flavours. Goes down pretty easy.

Enjoy !

19 L Batch
1.050 SG
1.010 FG
5.2% ABV
46 IBU
12 SRM

3.3kg Weyermann Premium Pils
800g Munich
410g Aromatic
230g Caramunich 3
85g Carafa 1

42IBU NZ Hallertau Aroma @ 60 mins
21g German Tettnang @ 15 mins

US-05 at 16 degrees

Views: 102

Replies to This Discussion

Im really looking forward to trying this beer also, had a quick look at the bottles and the beer looks incredibly clear through the PET
Cheers ! Looking forward to all the feedback. And everybody elses beers of course

First beer of the swap for me :)

Pours a crystal clear, deep copper with a thin, white head. Honey, caramel and toasty malt dominate the nose. Tastes very clean with the honey and caramel malt flavours prominent, rich mouthfeel, yum! A very drinkable, well balanced beer.

This is a very good beer, a great way to start the swap. I would love to have a keg of this on tap!!

Shit, that didn't take you long to get into :)
I was pretty thirsty last night, and once you dropped off the beers I couldn't help myself. Cheers for picking them up!
Thanks haish. First swap for me so its been a slightly anxious wait for the first bit of feedback, but this is a relief and pretty encouraging ! Glad you enjoyed it

Shared this two nights ago with my wife.

Lovely malty aroma, some dried fruity raisiny notes.  Poured clear and coppery brown.  After drinking so many hoppy beers recently it was almost a pleasent relief to have a good malt driven beer.  My only suggestion would be maybe to try using an alt/koelsch yeast but that said the US05 is fairly neutral and didn't detract from the character.

Great beer, good effort, and my first homebrewed alt ever!

Clear amber on the pour, with an off-white head that subsided pretty quickly but was still present all the way to the bottom of the glass. Aroma is kind of a sweet, nutty caramel/toffee to me, very inviting. The flavour pretty much backs up what the aroma promised, with a good balance of bitterness that stops it being sweet. 

I'd never had an alt of any sort until tonight and really enjoyed this - thanks for sharing Matt.

My first Altbier

Would probably brew this myself this winter - really enjoyed this malt driven beer - nicely balanced - not too sweet. Great job!!!

Thanks for sharing

Altbier is one of my favourite styles - one I like to drink, though not one I've ever been very successful in brewing.

This looks gorgeous in the glass - the perfect chestnut colour. Head retention is OK, but could be better.

First sniff gives a hint of chocolate plus something else I can't quite make out. However, as the glass warms up I manage to make it out much more clearly - I'm afraid I'm getting a big whiff of diacetyl. It starts off as just some deeper fruitiness, but comes through more strongly over time.

Unfortunately once my nose has told me it can smell diacetyl, my mouth looks for it, and it's there. As much in the texture and moutfeel as anything else.

Other than that it's a nice beer. Nice chocolate notes with a lingering subtle bitterness. Dryness is just great - I much prefer that to them being over-flabby.

Thanks for sharing your shot at a tough style.

i get it too...

A big blast of diacetyl on the nose... butterscotch at first, tending towards maragarine once. Often I get it in the mouth, more than the nose, but for this beer it is more prominent on the nose.

Everything else about the beer seems right on the right road to a great beer. The colour is great, the head is good, the malt:hop balance seems on track... there is a bit of a hole in the malt character from the use of too attenuative a yeast but the recipe certainly seems to be there. I'd definitely recommend trying this recipe with a good alt yeast if you are interested in pursuing the style. One of the best homebrews I've ever tried was Ed Siddle's Alt beer. That style is so damn drinkable.

Slainte mhath!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service