Golden Ale

Type: All Grain  

Batch Size: 55.00 L           

Boil Size: 65.00 L               

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash: 60 min @ 67c       

11.00 kg                NZ Pilsner

1.00 kg                  Crystal Malt

49.90 gm              Amarillo Gold [7.50%] (60 min)  

42.22 gm              Amarillo Gold [7.50%] (10 min)  

49.90 gm              Amarillo Gold [7.5%] (5 min)    

45.83 gm              Cascade [5.50%] (0 min)               

1056 Wyeast American Ale

Original Gravity: 1.050 SG

Final Gravity: 1.009 SG

Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %

Bitterness: 25.8 IBU     

First CS for me so I am keen on feedback.  enjoy.  

Views: 163

Replies to This Discussion

Second beer of the swap for me.

Beer pours bright clear golden (clever name) with a bubbly off white head.

Not a lot on the nose for me but I was cooking tacos at the time so that might have dulled my senses.

On the palette there is crisp malt quickly overpowered by hops.

Great mouthfeel, I'm starting to miss bottle conditioned beers, there's something about the carbonation and melding of flavours that is definitely missing from my kegs.

I get a slight harsh note in the bitterness, almost ginger-like, slightly phenolic I guess.

Looks like I'm the only one, so maybe chalk that up to just my bottle, or even the mexican food I paired it with throwing my taste buds off.

All in all a really enjoyable beer, great looking, well balanced tending towards bitter (yum) generally pretty bloody good.

Cheers!

Thanks Barry, just so you know, they were bottled from the keg. cheers.

"they were bottled from the keg"

lol SNAP

Fuck... my case hasnt even turned up yet !!! I am jealous as !!!!!

SNAP indeed!

my bottle had quite a bit of yeast on the bottom, made an assumption

(when you assume things you make an ass out of u and me...)

Goes to show you I just make this shit up, I wouldn't listen to a word of it :)

"Goes to show you I just make this shit up"

Haha, that is fucking gold!!

Patience Adrian, your beers should be there soon enough, unless the local postie got thirsty, definately possible in your area yeah? lol

As others have said, this is a beautiful looking beer. Deep gold on the pour with a nice white head. Absolutely crystal clear, outstanding stuff. On the aroma I get a bit of pine and citrus, but also a faint sulphury note which I wasn't expecting at all. Not necessarily a bad thing, it reminds me of a good lager.

The flavour had an almost savoury thing going on which I guess was related to how dry this was, and although the hops were prominent the fruitiness seemed a bit subdued by that. The bitterness seems to linger a bit which seems a little out of place given the figures you've provided - I'd have guessed this was around 40-50 IBUs rather than 17!

I liked this but found it a bit confusing to drink - a few things going on that I hadn't expected or at least hadn't expected together. I wonder whether a beefier english ale malt would help round it out a bit more, along with a slightly higher mash temp.

Cheers Adrian!

Just got back from work and it was a real treat. The dry-ish finish worked for me after a long day of slog - nice and refweshing - just what I needed. Gorgeous fluffy head and golden colour.

Thanks

Golden amber, lovely and clear. Did you post boil fine this to get it so clear? Tarty and sour fruit aroma, smells great. Excellent body and mouthfeel. Some hop flavour comes through and then drys out to leave a refreshing bitterness behind. Really easy to drink this one and I think the second glass is going to go well with my nachos. It's certainly coming across as more bitter than the 17 IBU's in the recipe, is that because of the wrong value of the Amarillo? What's the real IBU on this? Anyway mate, great beer, easy drinker, I'll bet you'll have a keg of this on over summer! Cheers

I just updated the recipe..  Um clarity wise.. irish moss... wort chilled, ferment, crash chill.. done..  what is "post boil fine"?

thanks for the feedback guys

Gelatine! That's bloody clear without finings. I must try crash chilling my beers before bottling and see if it helps.
It definitely does. Just a couple of days at 1C will make a huge difference, as will cold conditioning after it's carbed.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service