Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Rev - I use the carapils to boost the body, as when using extract it sometimes seems a bit lacking.

What about dropping the pale malt to 75% and picking up the slack with equal amounts of pale & dark crystal? Or adding more pale choc too?

I will swap out the 5 min addition and distribute evenly to the 15 and 1 min additions, perhaps saving a bit more for the dry hop.

Seeking a bit of advice from more experienced brewers. 

Due to a shortage of East Kent Goldings I'm looking for substitute hop bill for JZ's Brewing Classic Styles Special Bitter. 

Would New Zealand Goldings alone do the trick (adjusting appropriately for %AA) and how do the NZ Goldings variety differ from the EKG type?

Alternatively I've been toying with the idea of a Styrian Goldings/ Pacifica combo.  Has anyone tried this and if so, how do they pair up?

100% Styrian would work well and is pretty classic, can't comment on the combo though.

NZ Golding I haven't used a lot but is a bit spicyier-peppery than the UK version.

Use both hops a lot, and often interchangeably. Other than accommodating for alpha acid % (which I only bother with for additions earlier than flameout - 20m), I find NZG are very similar to EKG, though with a distinctive "orangey" citrus note, and a more intense herbal/spicey profile than EKG. You'll end up with a different beer, but a good one nonetheless. NZ Goldings are a favourite hop of mine, and I think a certain Mr Townshend is a bit of a fan also.

I find NZG are very similar to EKG, though with a distinctive "orangey" citrus note

One of my all time favourites was an extract brew with caramalt and Goldings of an unknown - or at least unrecorded - origin.

It was a fantastic orange marmalade that I've never repeated. Wished I'd written down which lot of Goldings I'd used.

Plan to repeat one day. The hop additions were at 30gm 30 & 15 minutes for a 20 something litre batch though I don't know if that would satisfy my pallette these days. I was thinking more 25 or 30gm additions at 20 10 & 1 (26 litre boil) - sound reasonable for  a nice big Goldings hit ?

Great -  thanks all.

I'm looking for a marmalade hit, which was why I considered the Pacifica.

However, by the sounds of it, NZ goldings will give me that and a little more.  I'm liking the sound of a little more spice/herb - just the thing for an autumnul bitter.

You've got me thinking on the timing of additions now too JT - JZ's additions are 34g (25 IBU)  at 60, 14g (3.5 IBU) at 20 and 14g at 1min.  Have to admit I'm erring towards the extra 10min addition like you suggest to be sure of a good whack of citrus in the middle of the palate.

This was one of my early extract & grains and the recipe was pretty much Palmers Crouchback.
At that stage I hadn't tried many really good or many flavourseome beers and I think that now, I'd be wanting more than just a 30 & 15 minute addition.
I reckon getting a really good bittering addition in there is important too

I'd be interested in what you do & what you think of the result

No worries - I'll post my recipe for comment once I've got it into Beersmith - and then tasting notes once its got to drinking stage. 

This one I'm going to go NZ Goldings all the way (a good opportunity to educate myself on this hop).  Next time around I think I'll try the Styrians/Pacifica combo with the same grist and yeast (WY1968) to compare.

Here's the recipe for this weekend - a blatant copy of the BCS version - adjusted slightly for available malts and hops - plus a little extra hop character.

Recipe Specifications --------------------------

Batch Size: 25.00 L

Boil Size: 34.17 L

Estimated OG: 1.047 SG

Estimated Color: 11.5 SRM

Estimated IBU: 38.8 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients: ------------

4.40 kg Marris Otter (Bairds) (2.8 SRM) Grain 87.13 %

0.25 kg Dark Crystal (Bairds) (116.8 SRM) Grain 4.95 %

0.25 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 4.95 %

0.15 kg Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2.97 %

50.00 gm Goldings, NZ [5.60 %] (60 min) Hops 28.5 IBU

20.00 gm Goldings, NZ [5.60 %] (20 min) Hops 6.9 IBU

15.00 gm Goldings, NZ [5.60 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU

15.00 gm Goldings, NZ [5.60 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU

1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)

Styrian + Pacifica is a great combo.  I've used it a bit at home and it is the bulk of the hops in Hud-a-wa'...

I'd try the NZ Goldings first, just because it is in keeping with the original recipe.  I brewed a variant of that beer a few times about three years ago and it was stunning.  My favourite mix was with EKG hops and Wyeast 1099.

Cool Stu - thanks. 

To my mind the combo felt like it should work - but good to know it has in practice. 

Hey guys

My friends father has purchased 3 Golden Beer fresh wort kits and because he can't make them all before they expire, I have bought one of them off him as well as my mate.

Now rather than all of us making the same product I thought I'd give this Black IPA bandwagon and give this pale ale some colour. From what I gather the wort kit is 15 litres of 1.060 pale ale and made with pale malt and some crystal. I don't know the hops but they create 40IBUs.

Plan is to steep 200grams of dark chocolate malt for 30mins and add it to the kit wort (would I need to boil it up?) I know I need more than choc malt to make a Black IPA so I need some guidance. In stock I got brown malt, munich, black patent, melanoidin, carapils, amber and some other base malts. Hops in stock are NZ hallertau, NZ cascade and Willamette.

the end result I want is a balanced beer that isn't totally dominated by either the hops or the malt.

Can anyone help? Much appreciated for any feedback

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service