Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think SMaSH is a good experiment to do but it would most likely be a waste of a day on a low gravity beer. I'd do it with something of about 4.5/5% at least..
Duly noted, that's the conclusion I've come to as well. Gotta love forums. Thanks guys.
OK, next up after the JTomato soup is another Little Brownie
80% Malteurop
15%  Dark Crystal
5%  Chocolates
Smidgie of Black

Looking at 1033 with a repitch of '05
The hops are nearly a repeat, Super Alpha and then Sauvin & cascade
But one change - I have cascade cones left over from my brothers departure.
Now I've heard and read varying calculations for substituting cones for pellets, anywhere between 15 and 33%
And I know I'll need to allow for greater wort loss to the cones

Any other hints, trips or tricks to brewing with cones ?
Wash your hands before you try and read a magazine or you'll end up with all the pages stuck you your hands. Isn't a good look if your wife walks in and you've been reading her Womans Day and got pieces of Pippa Wetzell stuck all over you.
cheers chap, I take it you wear rubber gloves in the brewery now ?

Nah,

I don't mind a bit of Pippa on me

Oh, the yates gardening book is ok with the wife as long it's not on the page featuring broad beans, any other veg is fine

Secondly, cones blocked the auto syphon - no danged fancy kettle taps here !

Any other hints, trips or tricks to brewing with cones ?

Ok guys, where's the reply that says "watch the absorbsion jt"

Is Pippa Wetzel & sticky hands really the best you guys can do (winky winky smiley etc)

Looked like a big loss to absorbsion to start with, looking like 4 litres of soggy cones in the botton of the tin thing, but with a long slow drain, much muttering and swearing  I came out pretty close to planned. Allowed 1 litre per 100gm of cones, ended up maybe 1.25 to 1.5

Lesson learnt, I aint set up to use cones ... Cascade Cones swap in North Welly ?

This was a shit of a brew day but the beer turned out great - it's probably how I thought Stu's suggestion of PKB Mild should be, richly bitter and pouring like water from the fridge tap
I probably underestimated the AA of the cascade cones not knowing what they were or their age.
I'm brewing again, but with pellets - passed the cones onto Chris - and one less hop addition but still up around 50IBU i think
Also dropping the OG down a point from 1.033 to 1.032, just dropping out some pale
So all weighed ready to mill
85% Malteurop
9% Dark Crystal
3% Pale Chocolate
2% Chocolate
1% Black
1.032 with 14 IBU Super Alpha to bitter then 1g cascade 0.5g Sauvin at 20 10 & 1
Standard repitch of '05 using Jo's magic slurry repitch instructions
Hi guys. I'm planning a Holiday porter/stout and I'd be keen to hear your thoughts/suggestions on the recipe.

It'll be a 10 litre batch, as a bit of a test run. This'll also be my first official all grain, since I normally do 20 litre partial mashes (due to equipment size).

So here goes:

Holiday Porter
Batch Size: 10.00 L

Ingredients
2.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.9 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 4.5 %
0.10 kg Roasted Barley (1200.0 EBC) Grain 4.5 %
30.00 gm Liberty [4.30%] (60 min) Hops 28.1 IBU
1.00 tsp Allspice, ground (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 tsp Cinnamon, ground (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 tsp Nutmeg, ground (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 66.0 EBC
Bitterness: 28.1 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.8 %

Mash Grain Weight: 2.20 kg
Grain Temperature: 22.2 C Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Sparge Water: 5.72 L

Mash In: Add 5.74 L of water at 77.0 C.
Mash at 70.0 C 60 min
My opinion is that it'll end up more like a spiced guiness looking at that recipe... although you're mashing high... that US-05 will more than likely take it past the 1.015 you are predicting. I'd throw 10% Caramel Malt in there to sweeten things up a bit.

Subtlety is key with spice additions, too much and your beer will taste revolting. Personally I'd use way less than a teaspoon of each, especially in a 10L batch. Try something like Emmerson's Taieri George, and if you like it maybe err on the better half of a teaspoon, if you think it's drain pour, only use a pinch of each.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service