Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

If you find a new bar in Auckland with some craft beer, tell us about it. I just dropped some Croucher off to the new Corner Bar on High St. They are running a pure craft range, no Steiniken or Heinlager! That part of town is getting pretty good now with Mezze, O' Carrol's , My Bar. Almost enough for a decent crawl.

Views: 1282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do have Brew On Quay on the list to be added during the next update.  They're light on tapped product (according to the website), they have a magnificent selection of bottled product.  That's the other area they can get on the map with - if the bottled NZ craft beer selection is magnificent.  I think Brew on Quay is one of only 3 to do so, so far.  I think they have around 40 NZ craft examples which is around the magificent level!

What's the story with Shakespeare?  I'd heard they'd stopped brewing but can't find confirmation either way.  And they won't return emails etc.  I have them on the list to take off.

Anyone know if Rogue in Taupo is still brewing?  Or ever was brewing?

Shakespeare sold its brewery a few months ago, not sure if who ever bought it has pulled the plant yet.

So last night I attended the soft opening of the new Corner Bar. Nice fit out, two Moa taps, all the bottled moa. Plus Tuatara Range, Croucher Pils, Emersons 1812 and Pils, Epic pale ale and lager. Good food, excellent looking at people seats.Excellent whisky selection... They open doors Thursday.

I'm afraid Hashigo Zake will need to be removed from the list as they currently have 4 of their 11 taps/handpumps pouring imports.  http://hashigozake.co.nz/beerlist.html

(note: that is a joke but it illustrates a problem with having too firm a line in the sand).

I love the idea of this website AndrewC.  And I definitely agree that a very high benchmark should be set.  BUT... in lieu of having a near blank section for Auckland, it would probably be a good idea to post a couple of "greatest misses" on the list.  Golden Dawn would probably be one... more for the hipsters than the hopstars, I hear, but having all the Hallertau beers on tap is pretty decent for AKL.

Of course the Cock and Bull guys and Galbraith's Ale House may be happy to leave it as is!

I'd also be wary of using the term "NZ craft beer". What is craft? Apparently Harrington's don't consider themselves craft. And I know a lot of people don't consider a few other breweries as "craft" (including Nelson ones which are probably on tap in the bars you mention). "New Zealand-owned breweries" might be a better definition... though it doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely.

You could just be totally up front and honest and say that it is "bars we love". We can be any of your trusted contacts out and about on the streets of wherever...

Keep up the good fight.  As I say, I think this could be an absolutely amazing resource.

Anyone who ain't Lion, DB or Independent Liquor.
"are they somewhere you'd take your visiting Camra member friend to show off NZ's best?" , Nope, because I won't go out with someone who wears socks and sandals simultaneously even if they've come all the way from England for a pint.
Oh yeah, plus the fact, to paraphrase Martin B "we need to support these bars". If someone has 4 craft beers on tap because that's all they can afford to install, we don't get to hear about it other than word of mouth, hows does that help them??
Agreed. I'd love to live in Nelson or Wellington and be spoilt for choice of bars selling craft product. But in Auckland we'll never get places with 8 taps of NZ craft beer if we don't support the bars with 4. Or with 1, even.
Enough with the shitty stereotypes, that went out a long time ago.
They're only sterotypes if it ain't true Martin.;) I don't believe its compulsory for acceptance into Camra buts its a common fashion statement at all the beers fests I've been to in the UK. You can't hold the English to account for that I suppose, all of the UK need to be held accountable for not telling these people how wrong this is!
The last CAMRA beer fest I went to in the UK was Reading 09. The vast majority were in their 20-40s and dressed how you would expect for people that age. Around 40% would have been women. It was very sociable.
Awww.stop it, I'm trying to wind Martin up, and he ws biting. You've just gone and blew me out of the water. :(

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service