Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I am in the process of upgrading from a 17ltr Warehouse pot with 2300 W jug element to a 50 litre keg with 4000 W 3 heat element.

This also means I need to upgrade my chilling from my tiny immersion chiller. I was looking at getting a brazed plate hex and after a quick search Dudadiesel in the US has them going at about NZ$80 for a 10 plate or NZ$120 for a 20 plate. Now it seems that enough copper for making a decent size IC would be ~$100. Has anyone got a NZ supplier of these to save on the shipping, I checked out one place but for a similar size it was $228!

Also are there any brewers that meet in the Tauranga/Mount area?

Views: 834

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd still go for an immersion chiller... but if you really want one, have a look at www.craftbrewer.com.au and see if you can get one over for less.

I agree with Joking, IC is the way to go.  Check trademe for good prices on rolls of copper.

I had a plate chiller and they're a prick to use.  I brewed about five batches with it, each one clogged the chiller.  And once they're full of shit you need to go to some extreme measures to get it out again ie hot caustic recirculations or damn near melting the thing to get everything inside to carbonise.

I think you could get it to work if you built a seperate whirlpool vessel and were willing to sacrifice a few litres of good wort to get a 100% clear run off.  But the money you lose there would easily pay for the IC.

No idea about the palte chiller.

But try checking out scrap metal dealers for copper to make a bigger IC.

When I made mine last year I got 6m of 1/2" copper for $20.  Give it a good clean with some steel wool and/or some vinegar and you're all set.

Damn, at that price it would be IC all the way. I'll have to check out the scrapy.

Also are there any brewers that meet in the Tauranga/Mount area?

I'd be interested in this as well, although my beers are not up to it yet. Just received my temp control for my fridge today, so hopefully I might have something worthy of other brewers tasting in the near future, beer gods approving of course :)

Yeah I don't think I'll have much to offer, but it would be good to meet some people a bit further into it than me to get advice, ect. My beers are probably not up to sharing yet either, but I would share just to get the feedback. I've been havin a bit of issues getting the carb level right in a couple of kegs lately, until I found out tonight that instead of assuming I had the temp about right for the pressure I should check it, was sitting around 1.8 volumes, Doh!

Hauraki Home Brew (www.haurakihomebrew.co.nz) have immersion coolers for reasonable prices.  Plus, they look a lot better than what I could achieve with my DIY skills!

http://www.haurakihomebrew.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=184_90&...

Or:

http://www.haurakihomebrew.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=184_90&... 

Or, you can have them make a custom one up to 15m for $10.95/m.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service