Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94597

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stuck it into the whirlpool, no good thus far anyway might be allright when it comes to cold conditioning and drops out.

Just about to head off to Brewer's Coop and tried in vain to find a Blonde Ale recipe I saw here at some point.

I believe it had Cascade and Goldings with Golden Promise as the base malt.  Possibly one of JoKing's and maybe tweaked by DenimGlen.

If anyone could direct me to the relevant link, I'd be grateful.

The only blonde ale recipe I have is UK Pale, caramalt, and decent amount of cascade at flameout and dry with a neurtral bittering hop - probably Southern Cross.

I know Jo does a blonde that's all GP and simcoe but dunno if he does one with goldings, and cascade.

Does that help at all?

Or you could search through our posts here and here.

Thanks DG - sorry for the late thanks.  Had to rush out to Brewer's Coop just before they shut up the Harris Road shop for the last time (other shop doesn't open until Tuesday) and then got waylaid out East.

Tried to talk to Mike about what I needed for a Blonde Ale and in the rush ended up getting 4.5kg of  NZ pils, 0.5 kg of Pale Crystal, US 05 and 200gm of NZ Cascade plus I've got 100gm of NZ Goldings in the fridge.

Not sure if that's what I want but what I was after was a bit more of a detuned summer brew with a bit of a hop kick still - hence the Blonde Ale idea. 

So, anybody want to chime in with ideas on recipes for those ingredients that might fit the bill?

Jo's Epic clone with GP, pale crystal and exclusive use of NZ Cascade as my first AG attempt taught me a LOT - and there were a few mistakes.

For one, it attenuated from 1056 to 1020 in 3 days and stopped there, even with a good shaking at 4 days - maybe mashed at too high a temp?  I maybe didn't oxygenate the wort enough before pitching too.

I also didn't put any Koppafloc in - so it looks like a milkshake.  

But it tastes bloody awesome after a sneaky pint or two after 2 days of carbonation - that extra body and sweetness from the  partial attenuation balances the 250gm of NZ Cascade I dosed it with nicely.  

Actually, it could substitute for a meal - not really a session beer but pretty proud of it.  Definitely a whole quantum leap above extract brews.  And ready so soon!

Sorry - just remembered it was Barry's Summer Ale recipe I had seen. 

I actually took a copy of it in BeerSmith and had been playing with the bittering IBU's too - my short term memory shot to hell! 

Anyway, after the shopping escapade, I don't even have the ingredients for that, so still open to recipe ideas for the above ingredients...

If you like that Epic clone you can pretty much brew it again using what you've got - it won't have as much malt character, and it'll be lighter, but otherwise pretty similar. If you like what you've made, and want to see what a different malt contributes, that'd be a good way to do it. If you want to change it up a bit, you've got time over the next few days to pick up something else to use as a dry hop and see what that brings? Personally I'm a fan of Motueka in combo with the Cascade.

I've recently brewed something similar to Vdog's suggestion but instead coupled the Cascade with Nelson Sauvin. 

I'm not sure about NS as a main flavour addition - doesn't float my boat....but read somewhere here about using it to provide a focus for the Cascade.

As a result I trialled NS 15IBU to bitter and then sort of an inverse relationship hop schedule- something like

20min 20g Cascade, 15g NS

10min 30g Cascade  10g NS

0min  40g Cascade  5g NS

This seemed to make the Cascade "pop" with a soft fruity aroma - a trial I'm learning from and the results seem to suit my palate.

Maybe food for thought if you're interested in picking up another hop variety before you brew.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I've decided to go for a bit of variety and head off in the Blonde Ale direction - not only do I get experience brewing a new beer style but my wife will drink more of it 'cos it's not a turbo hop monster.

Thus, true synergy:

#include "zymurgy.h"

IBU = IBU - 12;

FG = FG - 10;

assert( ( FG + IBU ) < ( quaffability( IBU, FG ) + (++beerStylesTried) + pedictedFunLevel( wife, IBU, FG ) ) );

That's the theory anyway.

No worries Druid - sounds a good plan. 

Also made a Blonde Ale a while ago with Motueka and Cascade and can vouch for the combo as per Vdog.

I like the logic in your formula - best keep the home camp happy for long term support of future brewing!

Just put this down.  It may end up as my case swap beer, pending no disasters.  I'm intending to drink whats left on a sojourn to Coromandel next month.

Coromandel Gold: Belgian Strong Ale

4kg Halcyon

0.25kg Wheat

0.05Kg Cara Aroma for a bit of gold colour

0.7kg sugar

30 IBUs with Nelson Sauvin

3944 yeast.

OG: 1.065

Just hooked it up to my NEW tempmate.  Oh yes,welcome to the world of temperature controlled fermentation.

Knocking together a variant on my standard APA today. I wanted to make it a little more sessionable so I've dropped the OG down to 1.045 by decreasing the base malt. I've also backed off on the bittering hops but left all the flavour and aroma additions the same. I think I've nailed a good NZ Pale & an English Pale, so if I can add this to the repertoire I'll be a happy man.

Also did some education - Joel (BrewNation) came round for a yarn and to watch the mash & sparge process. Shared a couple of small samples also.

Listening to the 8Wired iStout episode of Can You Brew It while brewing - great to hear Jamil's good words about Soren's beers.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service