Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

i just finished an all grain epic styled beer and the OG was around1.050 but when I bottled it was 1.005.

mashed at 70 and mashed out about 68-69

will this have low Alochol and be thin?  I think my grain bill was a bit light too

any thoughts?

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mashed at 70*c?? Are you sure about that? What sort of thermometer did you use? I'd say that its probably not as honest as you think it is...

70*c is fkn really high, in fact I've mashed at that temp once in my life and the purpose was for the beer to finish really high, and in this particular case, my beer finished at 1.030!!

I'll take a guess that you used SO5?  I wouldn't expect that to finish out lower than 1014 probably closer to 1016.

Like the other two guys mentioned, I'd say it's a measurement error somewhere.  Check your hydrometer in tap water, it should read 1.000.  If there's a little crack in it it could be taking on beer and sinking giving you a lower reading.  I'd recommend getting a good mercury thermometer from your homebrew shop.  Check it in ice water and boiling water to make sure it reads right, then use this thermometer to calibrate or check your others.

Infection is a possibility but I'd say if it managed to ferment out 10 points lower than where it should be you would have noticed the smell/taste/pellicle before the FG.

well when its hanging on the wall its only half a degree out (lower) compared to my digital thermometer/hygrometer.

I let it mash for nearly 1.5hrs and was 65 degrees when i re started to mash out.  used US05

I am hoping that its drinkable...........

its weird as i used it to make an amber a few weeks prior and it has turned out alright, tasted it one week after and has alot of flavour but is lacking in head.  I mashed at very similar temps.  I think it turned out the way it did because i used this grain measure.........

pearl pale 3.72
caramalt 0.47
pale crystal malt 0.31
carapils 0.16

244 grams of US cascade hops
1.0 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II

"...well when its hanging on the wall its only half a degree out (lower) compared to my digital thermometer/hygrometer..."

You really need to test it with the boiling/ice test and see what's up so you can really rule out your thermometer.

Also, did you test in multiple places in the mash or right after stirring?  It's possible that the spot you tested was warmer than the rest.  Even then, I wouldn't expect the beer to ferment that low unless you added a really good chunk of simple sugars.

"...I let it mash for nearly 1.5hrs and was 65 degrees when i re started to mash out.  used US05..."

Try dropping your mash time as well.  I mash for 30 minutes on most beers, your mash has well converted by then if your crush is good.  Effectively you're only mashing at the temp that it sits at for the last 30 minutes IMO, so effectively I would compare your mash to a 66 - 65C mash, even then, I'm really surprised it fermented out that much.

"...I am hoping that its drinkable..........."

Did you taste it?  Does it taste like a 1005 beer?  I mean, really, who cares if you're hydrometer says 1005, if it tastes OK then sweet as.  David could be right, and it may be an infection.  Give it a good taste and let us know what's up.

"...is lacking in head..."

I wouldn't worry about that too much at the moment, that could be to do with a lot of things, usually it comes down to washing the beer glasses in the dishwasher.  Compare the head and head retention to commercial beers treated in the same way as your own.

With that much hop and unfermentables I would expect that beer to have a decent head.  In the mojority of headless beers the culprit is rinse-aid or dishwashing liquid.  Try washing your glassware by hand in hot Napisan/PBW and rinsing with hot water.

well theres alot of things id say thats  probably culminated...........

anyways, the amber is fizzier tonight and still very tasty.  If the epic clone turns out then ill be happy, obviouslly its only my second batch and im pretty happy so far.

might do the recipe you gave for 8 wired tall poppy next or the arrogant bastard clone.........

the epic turned out mint, cracked one friday night (bottled monday) and its cracking.  mate is an epic lover and he thinks its pretty good.

definitely make this again, maybe tweak it a bit...........

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service