Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

That's right y'all - the WBC hits Wellington.

Thanks to Colin Mallon for hosting this event - hopefully it will be as successful as the Auckland contingent. Colin has specifically requested that we kick things off in style and brew up some APA for the 1st quarterly meeting.

Mike Neilson will be co-ordinating the WellingtonBC - and will no doubt offer some stiff competition for all those who enter.

Attached are the style guidelenes for your reference - and dont be scared to use NZ hops: there is plenty of "interpretation" on some of the hop descriptors!

Cheers.

10A. American Pale Ale
Aroma: Usually moderate to strong hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is very common, but not required. Low to moderate maltiness supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). Fruity esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.
Appearance: Pale golden to deep amber. Moderately large white to off-white head with good retention. Generally quite clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.
Flavor: Usually a moderate to high hop flavor, often showing a citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may be used). Low to moderately high clean malt character supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). The balance is typically towards the late hops and bitterness, but the malt presence can be substantial. Caramel flavors are usually restrained or absent. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Moderate to high hop bitterness with a medium to dry finish. Hop flavor and bitterness often lingers into the finish. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates.
Overall Impression: Refreshing and hoppy, yet with sufficient supporting malt.
History: An American adaptation of English pale ale, reflecting indigenous ingredients (hops, malt, yeast, and water). Often lighter in color, cleaner in fermentation by-products, and having less caramel flavors than English counterparts.
Comments: There is some overlap in color between American pale ale and American amber ale. The American pale ale will generally be cleaner, have a less caramelly malt profile, less body, and often more finishing hops.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, typically American two-row. American hops, often but not always ones with a citrusy character. American ale yeast. Water can vary in sulfate content, but carbonate content should be relatively low. Specialty grains may add character and complexity, but generally make up a relatively small portion of the grist. Grains that add malt flavor and richness, light sweetness, and toasty or bready notes are often used (along with late hops) to differentiate brands.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.060
IBUs: 30 – 45 FG: 1.010 – 1.015
SRM: 5 – 14 ABV: 4.5 – 6.2%
Commercial Examples: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Stone Pale Ale, Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale, Bear Republic XP Pale Ale, Anderson Valley Poleeko Gold Pale Ale, Deschutes Mirror Pond, Full Sail Pale Ale, Three Floyds X-Tra Pale Ale, Firestone Pale Ale, Left Hand Brewing Jackman’s Pale Ale

Views: 297

Replies to This Discussion

With beers like this somtimes the fresher ones are the better ;o)
Excellent ... I'm in then.
man im planning on my one being 3 weeks old and I know of another persons whos will be 2 weeks!! Fresh is best!!
Mine will have hops still floating in it!
I'll be bringing in the fermentor and some straws.
Anyone going to offer up a bag of grain and a spoon?
I was thinking soil and rainwater
New time of 1pm on the Sunday, by then all the cobwebs should be shaken out of the heads and with this new time all of us get to have a good drink without feeling guilty about work the next day!!
So what's the deal with the recipes lads, should we post them as we brew them or remain tight-lipped until after the taste-off?
Each to their own I guess Cherry, I posted mine last time, others were more secretive with their recipes, not that it helped them ;oP hahaha
in fact, in saying that, heres my recipe, I brewed it on tuesday and will be dry hopping this weekend, ive probably brewed a wee bit early and my entry will most likely suffer because of this, but i dont care ;o)

Inspired by my WBC IPA malt wise, allthough I backed off on the Munich a little bit, and with the hopping I got alot of my ideas from the Taste APA that Glen and Martin brewed...

OG - 1049 and 46 IBU's, was supposed to be 1054 and 42 IBU's, but what ya gonna do ;o)

3.4kg Golden Promise - I actually fucked up here and it was supposed to be 4.4kg, but I got a really good eff so its ok...

300g Global Munich
150g CaraRed
150g CaraPils

FWH - 5g Nugget 11.6%
30 - 4g Amarillo 8.6%, 4g Simcoe 12.2%
20 - 6g Amarillo 8.6%, 6g Centennial 9.7%, 6g Simcoe 12.2%
10 - 8g Amarillo 8.6%, 8g Columbus 14.2%, 8g Simcoe 12.2%
0 - 18g Amarillo, 12g Centennial, 12g Columbus, 12g Simcoe
Dry - 12g Amarillo, 12g Centennial, 12g Columbus, 18g Simcoe

And what else other than US-05 :o)
Heres Mine

Malts, Hops, Yeast, Water.