Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I figure among my fellow beer geeks there must be some whisky geeks as well!? I going on a small overseas trip tomorrow and was thinking I might pick up a bottle of duty free Scotch, to supplement my "collection" whcih currently include a Singleton 12 year and a Laphroaig 10 year cask-strength. I am by no means an expert but the latter is much more appaeling to me.

What are good bottles to look out for? It doesnt need to be super smoky like the laphroaig but I am a fan of big flavours. I would like to explore the universe of whisky further so if there is something that is pungent on other notes than smoke that would be interesting. To keep the missus happy I want to keep the price low, no more than $100.

Unfortunately www.ratewhisky.com does not exist...:)

Views: 229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At the moment I have a few bottles at home - probably my favourite single malt is actually a 'Welsh'.

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/home.html

Penderyn Single Malt - very nice
Just picked up a Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or on the way back from Aus Soren... we should do a horizontal tasting!
Next time I'm in Wellington......

My malt stocks are getting low. Just some Bowmore and a little Laphroaig left. Luckily I have overseas visitors due early in the new year.
Oh Yeah!:P and we should get hold of some "plain" Glenmorangie for comparison... My parents are coming over next month, working on a duty free shopping list for them, so far includes talisker and ardberg 10 but also want a speyside, probably cragganmore. "the most complex nose of any malt" is what Michael Jackson said, gotta be good! Then I should be well stocked for a couple of years...
Stu, I good mate has just arrived on my doorstep from Adelaide, with a bottle of Nector D'Or under his arm.., Its like what I was saying about time place and company with Whisky. Amazing tasting the difference between the Glenmorangie and the Bowmore Islay malt I had stashed,
Yeh, huge difference there... try the Glenmorangie alongside something more subtle like a sweet Balvenie or one of "The" Glenlivet.

I do like Islays, and Talisker could well be my favourite, but I do think all the island malts are a bit over-rated by whisky newcomers. Good Speyside and Highland malts have a lot more long term interest for me...
Just want to put a plug in for Whisky Galore in chch, what a fantastic place that is. spent a couple of hours there on Saturday morning. By a strike of faith I went there before breakfast, that was the only mistake of that morning. The guy there is extremely helpful (both with knowledge and tastings!) and I can thoroughly recommend it.

I walked away with a Gordon & McPhail cask strength Caol Ila that has been aged in first fill sherry butts and a cheap Islay: McCleod. The McCleod has a very interesting nose but the flavor doesn't quite follow through, a bit weak. The Caol Ila is being saved until I know enough to appreciate it...

Also got Michal Jacksons Malt Whisky Companion, very interesting read. \

Man, whisky is almost a s fascinating as beer!:-)
Man, whisky is almost a s fascinating as beer!:-)

Yeah, but you get to drink more beer before you KO :-P
Yes, Whisky Galore is just over the road from the office - very tempting every time I walk past! Used to be a single malt fan (still am to an extent) but tastes have changed more to beer - and the really neat thing about beer is that you do not have to wait 10-16 years to find out if you have brewed a good batch! (My stock answer when asked why I don't take up making whisky instead of beer...)
Michael is also awesome at introducing you to different regions and tastes according to your budget. He has something for everyone. Always willing to provide a dram from his impressive line up in the side cabinet. Wonderful place and far better to spend your money there than your typical visit to duty free where the range is dull at best.
agree completely. I'm gonna get a base-stock from duty free but any thing special I'm gonna go to galore for or any similar shop around. I don't mind paying a little bit extra to get the best selection and expert advise.
The difference is very small IMO. You'd probably pay about $70-$80 for a lot of bottles in duty free atm, and I reckon you can get *better* at Whisky Galore for that price.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service