Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Being relatively new to the kegging game I find myself wondering whether to keg all of the beers that I brew or whether some would be better off bottled.  

I am currently fermenting a Belgian Blonde and a Tripel and wondering whether or not the Tripel should be kegged.  I have to admit that I'm quite partial to some yeast in my glass when I pout myself a glass of Moa St Joseph.

This also raises the bigger question of what beer styles should not be kegged (or would be better off bottled).

Question 1 - Should I keg or bottle my Tripel?

Question 2 - What beer styles are better off bottled rather than kegged?

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well pouring a pint is often a good option ?
it goes without saying, jt! i just doubt you'd be able to bottle more than about a couple of litres off ambient keg pressure?
You could be right.
I just don't usually bottle much from the keg, maybe a 1.25 L if I'm going out and don't have any bottle conditioned to take
I don't intend keeping the Tripel long term. My question around bottling the Tripel is more related to the yeast sediment that you get from a bottle conditioned beer that would be missing from a glass poured straight from the keg. Should a well poured Tripel contain some yeast from the bottom of the bottle or should it be clear with no sediment, such as when poured from the keg? Does it even matter at all?
Id say that technically the only beer that should have yeast in the glass is a Wheat beer, if you read the bottle of most of the belgians they have instructions outlining how to store and pour perfectly in order to avoid getting yeast in the glass...

But if its what you like, just keg without finings and drink it in the first few weeks, itll still have a bit of yeast in suspension to give you that yeastie taste...
I'm with Rev, don't fine it and before you pour from the keg shake it.... resuspended yeastie!
Spot on James.
There must be something good about bottle conditioning for some beers though or there would not be commercial examples of bottle conditioned beer about.
what you are forgetting here is that commerce is not about 'things that make the most logical sense', its about what sells. if people want to buy bottle conditioned beer, companies will make bottle conditioned beer. your average middle class well off consumer (target market) loves to think they're consuming something 'traditional' or 'hand crafted', and a bit of a yeast cake in the bottom of a bottle gives just that effect...
Question 2 - What beer styles are better off bottled rather than kegged

I guess we should make a list of commercial beers that are bottle conditioned and that should lead us to the answer... I would love to do that now but I better go and do some work, people are waiting for me.
JR its another one of those topics that has alot of conflicting information, some say that bottle conditioning provides smaller co2 bubbles giving the beer a smoother (or to quote Alesmith, 'Lush') mouthfeel, where as force carbonating has bigger co2 bubbles which dont allow you to taste the beer as well... I personally notice a difference in the mouthfeel from bottle conditioned beers, but to me its not worth the hassle..

Best way to find out for yourself id say would be to keg half a batch and bottle condition the other, then do a side by side and see if you can notice the difference..
...some say that bottle conditioning provides smaller co2 bubbles giving the beer a smoother (or to quote Alesmith, 'Lush') mouthfeel...

Ahhh bullshit :-P dissolved CO2 is dissolved CO2 I say haha.

I reckon if you're gonna do the test of BC vs keg you're gonna have to find a way to get pretty much the exact same amount of dissolved CO2 in each sample and serve at the exact same temp, in the exact same way etc etc, small differences in carbonation and temperature can make massive differences to mouthfeel I've found.

JR - for me the only beers I bottle condition are ones that I don't want to have on tap - high gravity beers, ones for aging etc.

I think part of the reason for commerical breweries to bottle condition is just wank factor. Other's may include English beers adhering to CAMRA guidelines or some smaller breweries may not have the gear to force carbonate.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service