Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi guys, I'm looking for a little advice here regarding sterilizing a corny keg. Generally when I have done that I have sterilised the keg in the usual way then turned on the CO2 and attached the handgun and pumped some sterilising fluid through the system, followed by a rinse and pumping some plain water through. Then rack the beer from the fermentor into the keg.

Now, I already have a batch of beer in my keg in the kegerator with CO2 attached and conditioning/carbonating. I have a second brew approaching the end of fermentation and I want to put it into a second corny keg that I have and use a device with a CO2 bomb that I was given to get some CO2 into it to displace the air - then it would sit at room temperature until the first beer batch is finished and I can refrigerate the second brew and attach the CO2.

So I need to sterilize this second corny keg but, since I shan't be pumping beer through the lines I am a touch concerned that that wee pipe that goes down to the bottom of the keg to slurp the beer from the bottom for delivery might remain un sterilised. Do you think this is a problem? Any comment welcome.

Cheers,

Ian

Views: 1224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First off - what sanitiser are you using?  If you're not already you should be using a no rinse sanitiser like StarSan, Iodophor or acidified bleach.  This eliminates the rinsing step (haha, obviously) which can be a source of contamination.  My preference is for StarSan.

For your problem - buy one of those cheaps plastic picnic (or 'bronco') taps with a length of hosing and a liquid disconnect.  That way you can clean and sanitise it and know everything is all good.  

If you can't find the plastic tap in time - they're cheaper ordered from Oz usually - you could always put a litre or so of sanitiser in your keg, give it a quick blast of CO2, then put a rag over the 'out' connection and press the poppet down with a screwdriver or similar.  It'll work but it might get messy.

I would also periodically remove the beer gun and line, disassemble and soak overnight in some Napisan/PBW/whatever, sanitise and reassemble. 

Hope that helps mate.

Yes, absolutely. That's just what I needed to know and it all makes sense. I actually have converted to Starsan. It takes a wee bit of getting used to in that initially it goes against the grain to leave those 'suds' there, but once you get over that mental hang-up it's just great. I guess I'm a bit of a lazy bugger when it comes to any opportunity to save hassle, and this stuff certainly does that. Brilliant.

Cheers for that.

Ian

Haha yup, everyone goes through that 'fear of the foam' when they start using StarSan.  If you can be bothered listening to it there's a really good episode on the Brewing Network where Charlie Talley, the maker of StarSan, is interviewed.  He really goes into good detail about how it works, and how it breaks down into a yeast nutrient when diluted.
I just listened to that, and it really was a great interview. Made me a lot more confident about using the stuff.
I'm with Denim - if I haven't got (or can't be arsed using) a spare line and picnic tap, I just put some sanitiser in, pressurise and use a screwdriver to push the poppet and force some sanitiser out the 'beer out' side. I wouldn't leave it unsanitised - it could be perfectly fine, but with something already in there and it sitting at room temp for a bit, it's a chance you don't need to take.

I've always take my cornelius kegs completely apart for cleaning in caustic and no-rinse sanitising - I soak all the bits (o-rings, inlet tube, lid, etc.) in no-rinse sanitiser after washing and soak the keg along with the outlet (the long stainless tube) until it's all nice and happy. Then I put it together and fill it with beer and flush the head space with CO2.

If you keep everything cleaned on a regular basis and give it a really good washing in caustic you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Crikey Chris, do you do that every time you empty a keg?? Dedication mate!!

My kegs just get a good clean with napisan, then no rinse sanitiser just as a pre-caution, the bits just get a wipe down - in the past i've also skipped the no rinse and just rinsed off the napisan, kegged and no problems - although, I wouldn't risk it if you have the choice...

Thanks for the thoughts, Chris. Sounds almost as much work as bottling that way. Probably isn't though and I guess you can't be too careful - but I think I'll hang in with a wash and Starsan and see how I go.

Cheers,

Ian

It's heaps easier than bottling - just think of it as one big bottle that you are filling. Don't forget to use less priming sugar than you would for bottling or you will end up with a highly carbonated brew.
Chris are you conditioning naturally in the keg?
Yes, it means the very first half-pint is mostly sediment, but from there it runs very clear.

Half a pint of sediment is all good, whenever I skip cold conditioning due to having too many kegs in the freezer, my first two pints are full of sediment!!

Question Chris - How long do you wait for your kegs to 'prime'? And how long after they have conditioned do you keep them cold before serving?

Cheers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service