Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just wanting to know how long is everyone waiting for the S-05 to clean up the beer? Every beer I ferment with S05 leaves me with a cloudy beer out of fermenter (Even sitting for 3 weeks). I have split Fermented a control using S-04 to see if this has been bad practice. After 7 days the S-04 is crystal clear and the S-05 is just like other S05 brew I have brewed. I have one at the moment that looks like a good Wit and believe it or not tastes like one also? Heres the recipe to prove it aint.

5.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)
100g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (15 min)
60gm Cascade US Plugs [6.80 %] (15 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (10 min)
5 gm Challenger [7.50 %] (0 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (0 min)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (0 min)

1 Pkgs S-05

Views: 543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I freeze my LME, no dramas apparent from the starters made from that so far.

Can't see why you couldn't freeze wort, I know there was an article in BYO about canning it and having it sanitised, on hand, for starters.

To be honest, if I'm gonna spend the day making a a bunch of 1040 wort and then trying to find somewhere to store it and all that I'd rather just make beer and spend a few extra bucks on D/LME.
Yeah but it seems that you can use a whole 500g bag of DME for a high sg lager!! and propgating small viles of yeast.
Every beer I ferment with S05 leaves me with a cloudy beer out of fermenter

So Mike, is there any chance that this */2010 batch of '05 that you've picked up in Palmy be as bad as the one that started this whole thread ?

cheers, jt
Heres Hoping it was I reacon just one bad batch! As I said I drunk a crystal clear S05 beer last night.
I Have used wlp001 and US-05 and always have very similar results. Crystal clear beer. As far as the starters go have you ever tried just using a liquid extract? Cost me $1 per starter.
Yeah Im going to do it as I have to make a 4L starter for one of my beers and that will be like 10 for the dme straight off the bat!! ouch!! plus the $90 for other ingredients!!
WOW Thats a lot of ingredients. What is your batch size?
23L 1.115 SG 95Ibu Barleywine
Wicked. I never tried making one of those. Never really liked wine much tho. But I'm guessing these taste a bit different?
Dude if you havnt tried a good barley wine make it your next mission! I had my first taste of one at the brewers guild xmas bbq and it was just so tasty!! Like, amazingly tasty!
That would have to have been John Gollics clone of Thomas Hardeys Ale... which is (IMHO) a very close replica of what it probably (IMHO) the best barleywine available on the open market.

Thomas Hardeys is mind blowing, and Johns version of it is out of this world! I believe it's 10 years old now!

It's not very fair to have this as your 1st example, as you may never have anything quite as good again! True!
Yep that was John Gollicks allright, the last bottle as well, and yes 10 yrs old.. I havnt had anything like it since, and from the sounds of it may struggle to again :o(

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service