Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just wanting to know how long is everyone waiting for the S-05 to clean up the beer? Every beer I ferment with S05 leaves me with a cloudy beer out of fermenter (Even sitting for 3 weeks). I have split Fermented a control using S-04 to see if this has been bad practice. After 7 days the S-04 is crystal clear and the S-05 is just like other S05 brew I have brewed. I have one at the moment that looks like a good Wit and believe it or not tastes like one also? Heres the recipe to prove it aint.

5.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)
100g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (15 min)
60gm Cascade US Plugs [6.80 %] (15 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (10 min)
5 gm Challenger [7.50 %] (0 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (0 min)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (0 min)

1 Pkgs S-05

Views: 543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For anyone interested Craftbrewer do S33 cheap as chips, 1.20 for the 6g pack.

Just be sure to order one or two more than you need, those MAF-dicks opened one of each of my dried yeast last time.
Just bottled a couple of 11L batches brewed with US-05. The hydrometer samples tasted great (awesome in fact) and the clarity was as good as I've seen at bottling. I have no idea what the expiry date was for this one but I bought it from GE pre-xmas. It was one packet split across two 11L batches.
Just took a hydro sample of an APA brewed three weeks ago with S05.

Looks like S05 usually does at this stage, still a tiny, tiny bit hazy but definitely passable, if I look into the carboy I can see the first inch or so along the top of the trub if you know what I mean. On my clarity scale out of 10 after a week in the fridge I reckon it'll be about 8.5/10, 10 being brilliant in clarity.

Sorry but no records of batch or expiry date.
Both 03/2009 and 05/2009 lots of '05 are fine for me.
Seems to get to a good gravity in 7 to 8 days and then takes another couple of days for the yeast to drop out.
The only comment I have is when I rack & dry hop, seems to take an age for the hops to settle.
don't you bag 'em?
Never have Stu - reckon I should ?

Brewing extract & grains I used to rack, (sometimes dry hop) and add issinglass.
Floaties were never an issue.
I went off buying (finings) from Great Exp and didn't bother fining

I've just started dry hopping again and not fining seem to have a long wait for them to settle.

Reckon the bags from Resene mentioned by Mike ? Knowing how pellets disintegrate I wondered how effective the bag would be
I use stockings, never get any pellet leak.
Give it a go. Not fishnets mind!
I save the old fishnets for tieing up the tomatos Stu ... and boy they look good !

I'll give it a go with the Hallertau Blande Ale, due for some dry hops any day now, might give it some life

cheers, jt
Having your pellet leaking from your stockings sounds pretty fucking disgusting :-P
Must be a very fine mesh to stop pellet leak ? I picked up some of the stocking stuff from resense in jackson Street this arvo and racked my hallertau ale along with 20gm Hallertau, looks very tidy, unlike this which is the very tasty dregs of the cascade ale that I had dry hopped and just kegged tonight

Did you the stockings ok, or did you have to ask?
They had them out the back and it took a bit of discussion to sort out what they were. Can't remember the description on the label - filter stocking or something.
Boiled one up last night and added to fermenter, looked like a hop-sausage

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service