Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70877

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How much acidulated malt can be used before it adds a sourness? Is 2% OK? I am planning an American IPA, ~7% ~ 300 g hops total. 68 IBU. 90.6 % Golden Promise, 4.7 Glad. Medium Crystal, 4.7 Carapils.  My last batch was a Black IPA and the mash pH was 5.2. It went so well I want to get this one close to that. 2% will bring it to an estimated pH of 5.3, without it pH 5.5 (not so bad but...). Any ideas would be great. 

Tryingto make a tuatara IPA Clone.

Any advice welcome here: http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/group/clone-brews/forum/topics/tuat...

5kg maris otter

300g munich

300g med crystal

80g acid malt

Hops: 

60min - pacific jade 14g

30min - chinook 14g

15min - NZ Styrian 20g, 10g NZ Chinook

Flameout - NZ Styrian 30g, 15g NZ Chinook

Looks good, restrained hops for an English style IPA! Spicy Chinook, love that hop. What IBUs and SRM are you aiming for?

between 48-50 ibu, which i think is about where the beer im tryingto clone sits.

Now I bought a bottle of the commercial tuatara IPA  and just finishingit off now, i really get a good chinook pine and a shitload of styrian marmalade. brillioant beer.

Can't decide if I should dryhop or not though? I could also add an additional whirlpool hop stand much like the EPIC way of doing things.

Ages since I had that beer, but I don't recall it having a huge aroma, more subtle than the two APAs. Split batch?

Yeah not a huge aroma. Can't do a split as I only gave one fermenter. The other is full.
2% in that beer will be fine, assuming your mash pH is mid to high without it.

Thanks Tilt.

Yep, seems that way. The residual alkalinity is just a bit high with pale beers and there is only so much gypsum and Calcium Chloride that I would want to add. Turns out I am on the same water supply as Emesron's. Maybe it is my imagination but I reckon I can taste a hint of acid malt in a couple of their beers (not in a bad way, just a subtle fresh tang)! 

Here is the reason why I only have one fermenter...

Any advice on this one?

Darkest Nightmares American Stout

6.5kg Glads Pale

0.35 Pale Crystal

0.35 Pale Chocolate

0.35kg Roast Barley

US-05 x 2 packs

1.069 - 1.018

Pacific Jade/Chinook @ 60 to 60 IBU

25g Chinook @5

10g Southern Cross @ 0

No Dryhops.