Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've used it a couple of times. Similar to amarillo i thought. A nice hop but didn't wow me.

Cool, thinking maybe a combination with Riwaka? for a nice easy session pale ale. Thoughts?

Nice, grapefruit from the Ahtanum and tropical citrus from the Riwaka. 

I am Planning on using Ahtanum in an Amber ale as there is Simcoe right now. Itching to brew but waiting for a new wort chiller. 

I am interested to know how "malty"  Gladfield Pale Malt is compared to Malteurope NZ Pale. I am sure some of you will have tried both. Will replacing the Malteurope with Gladfield give me that bit more malt backbone I am looking for or too much? Perhaps I am better to replace some light crystal with med-dark. Any thoughts appreciated. 

I think Gladfield pale has a nicer malt flavour than Malteurope and might be a little more "malty" in its flavour but not a huge amount. Add something like some munich malt for more malty flavour. Just replace some pale with the munich.

what about throwing in say 100g of Gladys Aurora malt?   Do you have much experience with it?

I just put 70g into a munich helles , still has weeks to go...

No I haven't used it yet. I thought about using it in an Amber Ale I am planning but will probably go with this. 

2.96 kg Gladfield Pale Ale 61.3%
0.87 kg Gladfield Light Crystal 30        18%
0.7 kg Gladfield Munich 14.5%
0.2 kg Gladfield Biscuit malt 4.1%
0.1 kg Gladfield wheat malt 2.1%

Keen to hear how it works for you. 

Hey thanks. Just what I wanted to know. Trying to tweak my Citra based Pale ale just a little. I am very happy with it but it need that little extra. I have been using munich in my IPAs and I want to keep a point of difference so I might just try the gladfield pale next time and some slightly darker crystal. 

My pick of the 2 is the Gladfields, but maybe that's just because I'm brewing with it right now.
Agreed with Ralph that its a bit maltier, just seems to have a bit more body to it, it doesn't need a bit of Munich to boost it up a bit

Emersons "Bird Dog" IPA.

very pale, bitter not hugely floral, thinking base malt GP, some munic vienna a small ammount of carahell or glad light.  Decent southern cross bittering early in boil maybe some late its a very smooth bittering, nothing too citrusy.   def some sweetness lingering as well

Anyone tried to brew a clone?

yes I'd like to know too! Bloody lovely drop.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION - off ratebeer

Dog uses only one hop variety, NZ Cascade, from the boil right through to its massive dry hopping. Single hopped beers really give an appreciation for the characters of that particular hop and The Brew Crew here at Emerson’s reckon Bird Dog showcases NZ Cascade beautifully. A copper coloured pale ale with huge amounts of NZ Cascade that has created a floral, spicy aromatic pale ale that smells as delicious as it tastes. The hop flavour is high with a firm bitterness that leaves a crisp finish. If you aren’t a ‘Hophead’ already this is the Emerson beer that might convert you!

Off there website now

In September 2012, after two years of development on tap in the Dunedin Sound Series, Bird Dog India Pale Ale has been released in 500ml bottles.
The combination of NZ and US hops in the boil, the hopback, and dry hopping, along with traditional bottle conditioning makes this true India Pale Ale a significant addition to the range.
Bird Dog IPA is a tribute to The Verlaines album of the same name, and John Collie's painting which appeared on the Bird Dog album cover features on the Bird Dog label.
The stand out feature of Bird Dog IPA is that it is cellared for some weeks prior to each batch's release and sold only when the flavours have developed to Emerson's satisfaction. After many trials we've discovered the beer hits its peak well after bottling date, and keeps improving

ok i cant taste the massive cascade hops...... but i like it... and nows its a combination???.....

still i like the verlaines ... and 10 inch nails... tall poppies....   showing age here

I like the beer as it is,  its not floral I doubt its all cascade now...   it feels bitter not piney or citrusy or floral ,  still thinking southern cross or maybe muted pac jade, its got bugger all aroma in bottle if its a massive dry hop i don't smell or taste it.. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service