Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So this is the new recipe:

7.00 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (5.5 SRM) Grain 89.7 %
0.50 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.4 %
0.30 kg Gladfield Medium Crystal (42.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
66.00 gm Mix US Cascade, Centennial, Chinook 2:1:1 [8.90%] (15 min) Hops 22.6 IBU
66.00 gm Mix US Cascade, Centennial, Chinook 2:1:1 [8.90%] (10 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
66.00 gm Mix US Cascade, Centennial, Chinook 2:1:1 [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
25.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (2 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [6.20%] (2 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [6.20%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -  
25.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -  
25.00 gm Chinook [13.00%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -  
2 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale  

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
 Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 50.8 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 9.3 SRM Color:  

Looks like a good plan - I'll be interested in how it turns out - especially if the hop "pick and mix" method provides a nicely integrated flavour and bitterness.  Good luck with it

Thanks. Any suggestion on improving the malt bill (without dominating the hops)?

Grain bill looks good. I have been digging the Gladfields Toffee malt lately but it would add sweetness and screw your bittering balance.

Thanks Grant.

Hey Grant, I'm picking up some Toffee on the weekend, looking forward to it.

I was going to sub it straight in for caramalt, about 6% in a bitter pale .

Do you reckon it's worth adjusting the hops up or just leave it as it is and enjoy the toffee character ?

It is lighter and colour than Caramalt but it might be  a touch sweeter with a slightly different taste (really tastes like Toffee).

We did a Toffee Lager which I am sampling (hopefully) tonight... a 60/40 split of Gladfields Pilsner and Toffee malt. Looks like toffee, even smells like toffee.... so long answer to your question is if you want to taste the toffee then leave yer hops as is... otherwise bump them up slightly.

Yea, had a chew on some, tasted good.

I'll go the straight substitute and go for the toffee hit

Adds some sweetness, nice bit of body too.
Does it finish a little dry by the end of the pint, or is it just me?

Next thing I thought, was how good it would go wth some Styrian Goldings.
So brew in the fermenter already.

I like the carapils/caramalt/med crystal combo in equal proportions up to a total of 10% depending on how sweet and toothsome you want your beer.  I also use 1% acidulated with all my lighter colour Gladfields base malt recipes to help mash pH and beer clarity.

That is an interesting comment about the acid malt Tilt, I have been wondering if my pale beers with NZ Malt mash too high and are causing the harsh hop flavours I have been getting. For pilsners Kaiser reckons to drop the ph down to 5.2 but my water adjustment calculator struggles to get it below 5.55 without going too high in one mineral.

NEW MALTS IN THE PIPE LINE AT GLADFIELD

Manuka Smoked Malt

Distillers Malt

Diastatic Malt

Acidulated Malt

Light Chocolate Malt

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service