Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had my first bottle of my psuedo lager (mentioned earlier) in the weekend and it is really nice. I used a 2 litre starter and fermented mostly around 13-14°C, while nice it isn't quite as clean as say W34-70. So try 13°C or even lower if you want it super clean. Never had diacetyl but I have had acetyladehyde so give it a couple of weeks on the yeast I reckon. I did lager it for a month but don't have a non lagered version to compare it with. I guess it can't hurt though.

Rob here is a thought from the weekend. This fast maturing yeast business, could it be that something that occurs with low flocculating yeasts? They stay in suspension longer so there is more surface contact to clean the beer up.

There coudl be some truth to that, it seems logical i guess. I'll be running the beer at 15 degrees and ramping up from there.

It'll be given 2 weeks at normal temperatures, then lagered for another couple, in theory that should be enough.

I'm not using Pilsner Malt, so Diacetyl, won't be as large of an issue.... hopefully.

Chinook  IPA

Gladfields Pale 4535
Gladfields Crystal  408
Gladfields Munich 300
Gladfields Toffee 100
Gladfields Wheat 153
2 oz @ 60m ekg
0.5 oz @ 30m ekg
        1oz @ 10m ekg
1 oz @   5m ekg
1 oz @ 5m chinnok
dry hop 1 oz chinook
whitbread ale yeast big starter

Thoughts?  enough chinook or some more at say 15min?

Not sure about the EKG/ Chinook combo Peter.  What do you want this beer to be?  An English IPA with a dash of forest resin or a full on American IPA?

Have you ever brewed a pure EKG English ipa?

Maybe i need to start there first?  I am after an english ipa with dash of chinook

No, not yet.That could be a way to make your recipe more conventional

To me your grist looks more like an Am IPA, yeast English and hops a combo.  I'm not one to get hung up on style purity - but its worth thinking about the flavours you want out of the package.  I'm not sure the dense piney flavours of Chinook will meld well with spicey floral EKGs. I haven't seen a lot of other recipes using the combination either, which is sometimes a clue.

I'm with Tilt, it seems muddles, with a combo. It'll still be beer, and could probably be quite tasty. But I think if your going for more of an English style, you could swap the Chinook out for Challenger?

I'd also be tempted to swap out the toffee for Dark Crystal?

I am going to drop the chinook , do a just EKG   

Thanks P

I could do with a bit of advice / feedback on this hop combo...

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 30.00 L

Ingredients
7.00 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (5.5 SRM) Grain 89.7 %
0.50 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.4 %
0.30 kg Gladfield Medium Crystal (42.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
50.00 gm Chinook [13.00%] (15 min) Hops 25.0 IBU
50.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (10 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
50.00 gm Cascade [6.20%] (5 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
25.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (2 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [6.20%] (2 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [6.20%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -  
25.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -  
25.00 gm Chinook [13.00%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -  
Yeast: I'll be pitching on to a freshly vacated US-05 yeast cake.
What would be the best way of combining the three 50g additions for maximum flavour? Should I mix the three up and add 50g of the mix at 15, 10, and 5 minutes? Or the hops in the order above?

Cheers.

Looks like a damn nice hopburst IPA to me. 

Personally I'd disperse all of the 50g lots of hops across 15-5 range as you suggest, as long as it gives you the bitterness level you're looking for.  The Chinook can give a harsh bitterness if its where you're getting most of your IBUs from.  What's your OG on this?

Thanks for the heads up about Chinook. If I blend the hops, I'll have to increase the quantities slightly to maintain the same IBU level; 46.5. This will reduce the IBU percentage from Chinook from 60% to 40% roughly.

Beer Smith gives me an SG of 1.059

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service