Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cheers Robert,

Thanks for the info, sorry i did not get back to you earlier. I could not shift the brew any further so decided to keg and bottle the lot. Tastes a little 'gluggy' but maybe some time to condition will improve things.

The table for the Refractometer has been boookmarked for future use.

A good lesson learned anyway so on to the next one!

Hi John

Refractometers don't work after the wort has been fermenting. Put it away after the brew day and just use a hydrometer unless you've reason to think it's not working.

45 Litres of 18.5 Brix is huge, chances are the amount of alcohol being produced will need a serious amount of yeast. 2 packs of dry yeast probably will not do. The 5L of west coast sounds like it should be more promising but the beer is already very alcoholic so it will struggle.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear. Leave it ferment for another few weeks but I suspect it will not be a perfect beer.

There is a great podcast from 8Wired brewer, its about his iStout how he had trouble with fermentation and how he left in fermenter for 2 months to clean up....    Its really good to here this stuff from a commercial brewer and understand its as much art as science.   It turned out OK I rate this beer, and as it uses Gladfield's pale ale as base grain so I am keen to have a go at some point.  Probably coming into summer say oct / nov when I can just leave a carboy for a few months to secondary.   I think you need to super over pitch with this OG he also mentions that he injects O2 into beer from a sintered stone at 7L/min as he transfered to fermenter, in his words its SATURATED before super pitch.

he dumped it onto a 3rd gen US-05 yeast

here is the Jamil show link

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/708

Our Chch brew club just brewed a massive batch of the istout last weekend for a collaboration brew. (As per CYBI recipe) Injected with O2. Here's hoping it comes out good.

BOO YAH!

How big is massive?  How do you run your collaboration brewday?

We did 40L of Belgian stout as a BIAB in a 100L pot and we did 43L of istout clone with the runnings from 2 mash tuns and a BIAB. We then re sparged all these grains to get 35L of a partigyle brew. All brews were split into different fermenters. The 2 Belgians were pitched with Ardennes and Mangrove Jacks Belgian yeast. Istout were both fermented with US-05(one fermenter will get oak chips added) and the partigyle was fermented with Mangrove Jacks West coast and Newcastle yeasts. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was 46kg of grain all up and 600g of hops. 8 of us took part and will split the costs and beers between us. It was a pretty smooth brew day.

We brewed 40Litre of the stuff, based on the CYBI recipe, split up between 3 mash tuns just for this brew.

Pitched onto 5 packets of US-05, with Oxygen injection for a minute or two.

OG 1.102

We also did a Belgian Stout as well, 40 odd litree as well, 1.092? someone down here may correct me?

and a partigyle, another 30-40 litres again, of runnings from both the first 2 brews. 1.057 OG

1 week in and the updates are pretty positive, split between a number of different yeasts.

great day out.

wow I would never have thought you could get 1.057 out of a second mash, sounds like an awesome day.

It was Peter. I will upload some pics tonight.

Thanks Karl,

You were right, the West Coast did struggle. It lowered a fraction but I gave in yesterday and kegged and bottled the lot. Maybe time and a little conditioning will help.

Thanks for the info

Urgent Ned - an experiment in making a flanders red, faster. Big complicated red malt bill, mash capped with acid malt, stuff all hops and 100% brett fermentation

OG 1.06 16 SRM

23% munich
23% vienna
14% Pils
10% wheat
4% caramunich
3% carared
3% aromatic
2% spec b
1% dark crystal

at the end of the mash, 18% saurmaltz added

10 IBU of goldings at 60 mins

Fermenting with 100% Brett. Lambicus and a touch of oak. I'll adjust acidity going into the keg.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service