Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've just had a brainwave, Maybe you could do a decocotion mash? Double or triple decoction adds to those malty flavours and depth. I don't think the Czech's make 3.5% beer but it would be an interesting experiment.

Maybe you could do a decocotion mash?

The thought's crossed my mind for the low gravity ales I brew with malteurop, possibly a way to get more from the malt without using a big whack of specialties - not sure if I could be bothered faffing about with it, but the thought is interesting

That is definitely a consideration. Anyone have any tips for doing decoction mashes with BIAB? I guess the principles would be the same, but I've never done a decoction before.
Ah, didn't think of it with BIAB! maybe you could use 2-3 bags and boil the bags and some of the wort in a seperate pot? Not as "easy" as with a full mash tun.

I've done a few SMaSHs recently, although closer to 4.2%.  Single infusion at 67C and there was no problem with body, but they do taste better hand-pumped rather than bottled/carbonated.  (I also prefered Maris Otter and Goldings to GP or Fuggles if that's of interest)

I'll try going lower with the gravity in future, but to dip below 3.5% I might be inclined to cheat with some malto dextrin for assistance with the body.  Anyone got opinion or experience with that?

maybe you'd step mash with BIAB ?

Personally, I think you need some crystal malt in there down at those gravities. Caramelising some of the wort will help, but you need some of those long-chain dextrins to give it some body & mouthfeel. Mash as high as you dare.

Whatever you do I'd recommend a good whack of dry hop. The hop oils can boost the mouthfeel too.

Perhaps it's the brand of malt that I'm getting at Brewers Coop, but I haven't been that impressed by the flavours I've been getting from crystal malts in my beers over the last year. That's one of the reasons that I'm keen to try leaving them out.

Will definitely be going for a good dry hop :) I might try a 90 minute mash at 69 or 70. I hope my new thermometer is decent. It's probably not because it was 8 bucks.

I agree with Martin, you definitely want some crystal in a beer that small. The colour alone will come out pretty light. A good ordinary bitter recipe to try is Jamil's, throw in a dry hop and you should showcase your hop nicely, and I doubt you'll be disappointed with the result.

In my experience SMaSH beers come out a little lacking on the malt side...

Would 200g of pale crystal cut it? I'm inclined to leave it out so that I can learn the hard way exactly what you mean.

To what extent do you think it's the case that adding a bit of crystal will allow the beer to hold more hops? I don't want an excessive amount of hops, just enough to add character to the beer.

I was thinking 20g NZ Fuggle at 60, 20, 10, FO and dry, to make 100g total. I used this schedule recently in a malty bitter (although it was EKG and Fuggle mixed up) and it was just right. 

Here is a link to my standard bitter recipe, which is pretty much Jamil's with substitutions for local ingredients. It used 340g dark crystal and 110g hops for 40L, and could definitely have held more hops so you wouldn't be too far away with what you have above.

After reading those reviews, I might just scratch my plans for a SMaSH and see how your recipe turns out. Sounds awesome :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service