Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

....hmmmmm yes......200 metres down the Moteuka highway on the left up by the rotting Kombi van....yes thats it....haha

Not sure - the grower got it from a local nursery and was told it came from Nelson - not much info I'm afraid. Maybe if I took some to someone that knows a bit (i.e. Brewers Coop) for a sniff? I don't suppose a photo would help anyone?

It would be very helpful. I suspect smoothcone, which are a flat cone and a series of white petals from top to bottom looking like a stripe.

Most likely smoothcone I reckon.

Photo's won't really help.  There are some differences between varieties but my homegrown stuff has been all over the show, from white/albino tiny cones, to normal ones, to ones that look like something you'd buy in tinfoil behind the pub in Panmure.

Probably looks more like it should be in tinfoil - doesnt look as brown in real life.
Definately Smoothcone. That fully intact one on the top left shows all of the tell tale Smoothcone traits.

Cheers Jo

Any guess as to the typical AA% range?

Is smooth cone an aroma or bittering only hop?

I had a document somewhere that said it's typically around the 8%AA mark. Id definately give it a crack late in the boil. Good luck mate.

Ok, need some guidance after my lack of US-05, but I still want to brew this weekend...

So, ill have a big cake of gen 2 T-58 to pitch onto, and im wondering what I should brew with it? Appreciate the feedback on the WAYB thread about it being clean? But how clean? Clean enough for a cream ale or is that just whack??

Another brew i've got in the pipeline is a chocolate cherry porter, should I be brave enough to brew that with T-58? I have read its a good strain for high alc which is what this will be, but im just not sure??

I reckon the fruitiness could go well with the cherries. I used it for my Belgian Barleywine which is noticeably Belgian (phenolics) but not overly so. Good fruitiness.

Yeastie Boys Rapture is a good example of a fairly clean blonde ale with a Belgian yeast character. That works.

Cheers for the feedback guys, I now have growing confidence ;o) lol

Think im leaning more towards the cherry porter, lots of chocolate malt and munich to beef things up, and im only doing a 15 litre batch this time around to make it stronger... Fun times ahead!

Hell yeah!

I really liked that yeast... it's all clove and pepper at first but it subsides and has a nice fruitiness.  Would work well in the kind of smooth stout or porter I'd like to see fruit in.

I really liked S-33 too.

I'd take them both ahead of the blue Saf whose name should not be spoken (which is actually ok as well).

the blue Saf whose name should not be spoken

Well Matt Warners IPA is living proof that you can create a great beer with the blue Saf whose name should not be spoken and there's nothing you can't do with a yeast if you brew to it's strengths - or hide it behind a lorryload of hops ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service