Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In this case the apple taste quite good. It was meant to be there.

It is much better on tap, but you can see the one I am talking about at this link: http://www.taste.com.au/news+features/articles/1413/mad+brewers+ser...

The only hints I found so far are on that link, where they state, "Primary fermentation was intercepted with white wine yeast and Kendell's fruit juice to parlay the beer's apple lolly nose. Twanging Fuji, Granny Smith and Pink Lady tartness is lifted from the Belgian-influenced Saison yeast."

I am not even sure what malts to try here...this is going to be real hit and miss. Oh well, I am guessing Wyeast 3724 would be a good start, maybe pre-ferment some apple juice with wine yeast, and add it into the primary with the malts after about three days.
What sort of grain to liquor ratios are you guys using at the moment, thick or thin?

Thick mash followed by a top up and mash out or a thinner mash where the grain can swim free?
I personally because of BIAB use a very thin mash, probably pretty close to a 4:1 ratio water to grain...

I believe mr JoKing and Mike are using around a 2.5:1 with exceptionally good results! I think I recall Jo telling me that was his favourite Liquor to grist ratio but may have my numbers slightly off...
We've been discussing the North Welly Porter being brewed Sunday, using a collection of equipment and brewing ideas.
Think we're settled on a batch sparge - Matthew & I both batch anyway ?
But I usually mash thick - 2.75:1 and mash out and Matthew mashes thin 3.5:1 or more
We both get good results on our systems, we just need to figure out what we do for this collaboration

So thick, thin, mash out or not ?
Why not meet half way?
Well I was considering 'whatever works well on that gear' - whatever that is
What gear do you guys have? What batch size etc?? Reticulated mashing maybe?
The only gear I have is BIAB, so all of this sparging stuff will be new to me.
Piece of cake, remember the sunday morning you came round - pots of watre into the tun ?
You guys need a thick mash for that kind of beer. Batch it out and mash out high - it'll be awesome.
Given "awesome" is exactly what we're after you might be onto something there... ;-)
Having said that though - your WYHBB beer was pretty damned good - so whatever you normally mash at should be fine.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service