Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I guess itsthat tiem of year once more, fopr member who are willing to share their medal winning recipes.

I guess I'll be the first.....

Leo the Lion: https://nhc.soba.org.nz/brewer/entries/2713/score/share?k=51c5d7

Volume 21Lt

OG 1.052

FG 1.013

Boil Time 60 min

Yeast WLP090

Mash temp 66 Deg C

85% Gladfield Ale

12% Supernova Malt

4% Acidulated

(Some water additions to suit a hoppy profile)

Hops:

60min: 10g Chinook

10min: 25g Cascade (US)

10min: 25g Motueka

10min: 10g Mosaic

0min: 20g Motueka

0min: 15g Mosaic

0min: 50g Mandarina Bavaria

Dryhop: 50g Mandarina Bavaria / 30g Motueka / 20g Mosaic

so share your reciopes, and scoresheets, to give people inspiration etc.

Views: 946

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bronze - American IPA

https://nhc.soba.org.nz/brewer/entries/2872/score/share?k=229c3f

I was trying to make a beer similar to Bach's King Tide American IPA, but I made it too sweet..(way too much caramalt, but a little sweet defines king tide imho). Not enough 60min bittering either...   This was a 10L batch, the whirlpool was at 72C for about 20 mins.  no water additions.

Probably not a good entry for this style as it should not be a sweet beer, but didn't fit anywhere else.

Rob did you bottle condition or keg, I bottled and I think thats where some of the oxidation snuck in....

keg, its way easier with a bottling gun. and a spare co2 tank for purging. haha. i think that really helped.

cheers for sharing though peter. I noticed that WLP090 definitely doesn't attenuate where it should. I was expecting 1.011 TBH. but only ended up on 1.013

But that liquid yeast makes a difference wqith these beers. to me. pitching rates, and activ yeast.

You can avoid the need for an extra gas bottle by threading a ball lock post (one with 3/4" thread not the standard 19/32" ) onto the gas valve of a beer gun, then you can just use the gas line from one of you kegs.

Thanks for sharing guys and congrats on the medals, those look like tasty beers.

I liked the comment on Robs about "Classic American hops" with lots of non American hops and Mosaic which doesn't fit the classic American profile, I would have guessed it would be a bit tropical/fruity as opposed to the classic American grapefruit/pine. What did you think of Mandarina Bavaria?

Haha, Yeah I always keep a CO2 bottle spare, as I've had a shitload of leaks., it has a hose and connection attached, then attached to the gun i a piece of tube and a carbonator cap with barb for connection between the two.

Mandarina Bavaria? I quite liked it - it does seem quite pithy and bitter, orange marmalade type citrus. Supposedly its releatedto Cascade, but i thought it was tasty.

Problem is, now I an't get Mosaic to re-brew it. lol

Where did you get the Mandarina Bavaria hops?

Wouldn't you like to know......

Nah, thebrewhouse.co.nz has them - they were on special at the time.

Cheers for throwing this up Rob,

Thought I'd better make my contribution - I hear someone's thinking of throwing down a Berliner in the near future ;).

Definitely the most pumped about this result as was only my second crack at the style. I did several fruit variations of this as well by racking onto fruit in smaller containers, did blackcurrant, omega plum, strawberry, feijoa and blueberry also did a rose water version as per my notes.

Scored a bronze for the strawberry and came close with the rosewater and feijoa however I really shot myself in the foot by not adding the style and fruit to brewers notes, instead I named them by style and fruit but turns out the judges don't see the names. My favorites were the plain, rosewater, blackcurrant and feijoa - I didn't enter the blueberry one as it had a slight off aroma.

I did a re-brew of this for new years eve and dumped in 4kg of PYO cherries for four days, came out a brilliant ruby colour but I forgot to boil for a full 30 mins so missed the OG (1.027) so was a bit on the light/thin side. As per the judges notes this version was a little light on sourness so I pushed out my souring on the rebrew to 24 hours.

Happy brewing,

Sam

Attachments:

Cheers Sam, yerah its always good getting some of the recipes up for people to get inspirtion from or just brew the beer itself.

I'm thinking of doing a couple - a nice simple berline ( I have some cassis to blend with it/dose it with

Maybe a stronger base as well, I've got some nice Saison yeasts around ATM (TYB - Saison/Brett and 648 blended) so maybe a Tart saison, aged for a few months then dry-hopped.... seems a solid deal.

This one got a silver (40/50) and best in class for NZ Pilsner.  Cheers

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 22.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 44.8 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.00 kg               Gladfield Pilsner Malt (3.8 EBC)         Grain         1        94.3 %        
0.30 kg               Gladfield Gladiator Malt (10.0 EBC)      Grain         2        5.7 %         
3.00 g                Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] - First Wort 60. Hop           3        3.8 IBUs      
10.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min  Hop           4        11.6 IBUs     
20.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min  Hop           5        17.8 IBUs     
1.25 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        6        -             
25.00 g               Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min  Hop           7        10.5 IBUs     
50.00 g               Riwaka [4.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  2.0 m Hop           8        1.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) [124. Yeast         9        -             
1.00 Items           Gelatin (Secondary 5.0 hours)            Fining        10       -             
50.00 g               Riwaka [4.80 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days       Hop           11       0.0 IBUs      

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service