Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Continuing in the pointless new forum posts....

How did you get into (home)brewing?

For me it was mostly my brother back home starting to home brew first (since then all 3 of us do). I've been meaning to try for a while until I finally bit the bullet and went up to Great Expectations in the Hutt (utterly disappointing experience). Got it into my head that I was going to use glass bottles, so went next door and bought 4 swap-a-crates of Speights. It was a tough 2 weeks drinking to get through them in time for my first bottling. Unfortunately my first brew was also fizzy and tasteless....

Views: 635

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I had a couple million dollars, I'd set up a decent climbing wall in Wellington central.

If I had another couple million dollars....
I'd set up a facility in Wellington to allow groups to come in for a brew day (at a cost) and with the help of an on-site brewer, come up with a beer recipe. That brew then gets fermented, conditioned and kegged. Those kegs get sent to a couple of Wellington pubs on a regular basis on tap so that the original group can drink the beer they helped brew (and of course arrange with the facility to buy directly should they wish). I reckon there would be heaps of folks who'd like the idea of brewing their own beer, and might even be a good alternative to corporate gigs like Boom Rock!
You can do that now, only thing is its not a coule of kegs it's like twenty!!
"any more details on your Brown Ale?"
Sure! I'd direct you to my website but my trial version of Dreamweaver ran out before I could finish it, so it's not a pretty sight...

Ingredients:

Base Malt: Canterbury grown pale malt

Special Malts: Munich, Crystal, Cara-Pils, CaraAroma, Chocolate, Pale Chocolate.

Hops: Nelson grown Pacific Jade, Motueka, Pacifica and Cascade.

Yeast: Wyeast 1272 "American Ale II"

Secret ingredients: One (don't worry, it is organic and completely edible!).

I'm aiming for roughly 1.060, 45 IBU and 18 SRM but who knows with the first batch...:)

I'm still working on the recipe and could keep doing it for years (procastination is my middle name) but I'm tired of waiting so mashing in tomorrow.

Cascade is gonna be the main flavor and aroma but I am still open for suggestions to the Pacifica/Motueka combo, that is which one to bring right up there next to the cascade and which one to throw in about 15 mins before flameout... Any thoughts anyone?
Just my 2c - the Pacifica would go down will with the Cascade...

Maybe:

15mins: Mot / Cascade
0mins: Pacifica / Cascade
Pacifica all the way.

"PKB (remixed)" brewed today at Invercargill - and the trial being drunk tonight at mine - is a Cascade/Pacifica mix with MO, Cara 35 and Roast Barley.

Interestingly... same target OG and IBU!

PKB was originally meant to be a dark brown ale when I handbrewed it.
I really like Pacifica, so I'm looking forward to the remixed PKB.
Well become friends with Beerstore or get ready to go to Hamilton... Usually we do 4 keg max on all beers but this is a "one-off, out-of-season" brew and we're putting no limits on the 5 outlets that have taken every beer (Ruakura, Beerstore, Malthouse, Regionals and Bar Edward). One day only - if there is any left at the end of that day, it'll go to the fastest gun in the west (probably Tonic, by my reckoning).

More pacifica magic to follow hot on its heels... I'm in agreement with you (I reckon the next owner of Liberty Brewing should buy lots of Pacifica - Richard Emerson introduced me to its magic a few months ago).

I can see an event... Yeastie Boys + Golden Ticket + 8 Wired.
Or maybe we could all bring our best IPAs to the table next July at The Malthouse. I reckon, with all due respect, that Yeastie Boys "gonna hurt you"...

[let the trash talkin' begin ;-)]
GTB are up for the challenge but note that conditioning space at Invers might be squeezed if we go head to head.

We'll chuck our entry into the hat with the ES and if its loved enough (and it should be, cos for the most part exchange students are lovable) we might rebrew it (but also reserve the right to do something else)
sounds like a good plan

but you should have talked more trash ;-)

[note: i did tell you to be ready for the unexpected, we've not had a "perfect" batch... and if we do I'll give up - or at the least give Steve a bonus!]
Trash huh... "His" Majesty was to me more of a drag queen...

Ouch! Can Stu get up and make it to round two...

Ding ding
[trash talk starts]

"PKB (remixed)" brewed today at Invercargill - and the trial being drunk tonight at mine - is a Cascade/Pacifica mix with MO, Cara 35 and Roast Barley.

you've got to be kidding...??? you think 3 different malts can compete with my extremely complex and sophisticated 10-malt-bill???? everybody knows minimalism died in the 70s!

and golden sho... sorry, golden ticket: a pale ale??? come on, pale ales are so 90s!!

BRING. IT. ON.

[trash talk end]
[trash]

a hoppy brown ale!? c'mon, that's just a pale imitation of a hoppy black ale.

[untrash]

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service