Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I've noticed a few people mentioned that they would like to get a chest freezer/temp control setup while others are interested in a new fridge.

What are the pros & cons of kegging setups using fridges vs freezers?
What setup do you have and what do you think of it?

Views: 835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agree with Glen. I have fermentation fridge in addition to my beer fridge/freezer. The kegs on the top (fridge) the hops in the bottom (4 kilos of US hops Including Cascade Chinook Amarillo Columbus Centennial Nugget and Simcoe). I had 5 kilos before - but I've been using them a bit ;p
You really like just rubbing that in aye? :-P
Why not? It nearly cost me my marriage getting them in there! I may as well chalk it up a bit!
Haha, good on ya!
Thanks for the replies. Good point on using two different setups. I'll just have to convince my girlfriend that we have room for *another* beer fridge! I think I'll go with the Fridgemate for my existing freezer and use it just for serving.

By the way (for those interested), I was in the States over Xmas visiting my folks and ordered a Blichmann Beer Gun for bottling (http://www.northernbrewer.com/draft-bottling.html). Unfortunately, it didn't arrive before I headed back but my old man just posted it today. I'll be giving it a go in a few weeks.
Get him to send us a kilo or two of hops as well mate!!
Sounds like you don't have room in your freezer for many more!
It's great having parents back in the States... especially when trying to get equipment, instead of having to pay the USPS price!
Yea, tell me about it. Only cost him $28US to post the beer gun to me. I think the quote from Northern Brewer to send to NZ was about $60US or more!
Nice, I got the ghetto version.
I *really* considered going that route but decided since I was going to be in the US and had a few US$'s from Grandma as a Xmas pressie, might as well buy a new piece of brewing kit.

How well does that method work? Do you notice much, if any, loss of carb over time?
The gun looks very nice and I have wanted one before but it is now well down my list of brewing desire...

I just fill via a picnic tap. I'd love to see some tests done on "fancy bottling equipment v picnic tap".

I've stored beer like this for up to 6 months and have never noticed a problem. I served some 3 month old beer to a couple of budding beer judges about 18 months ago and neither of them picked any problem with oxidation (remeber that there will be a tiny amount of yeast in your bottle, assuming you're not filtering, so that will scavenge oxygen).

There was certainly no problem with carbonation - it stays in solution if you are bottling as close as possible 0c. Once the cap is on you won't lose carbonation.

My experimentation continues....

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service