Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

It was actually going pretty good until I went to run my immersion chiller. I turned it on and it was running fine until the hose burst at the connection to the inlet. Sprayed hot water everywhere and all over me. Don't know how much went into the beer, hopefully only a few drops. So I tried to salvage it by running the bath and cooling it that way, taking a long time to get to pitching temp, almost an hour now..... I was going for 23 litres and got 21. and a hell of alot of trub went into the fermentor. And it looks like the cloudiest stuff i have ever seen. This didnt go well at all

Views: 525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah I agree, I probly was being a bit hard on myself haha. It was my first time after all! I let a hydrometer sample sit out overnight and the wort sitting on the trub is actually pretty clear. Hopefully a good sign. I managed to get it down to around 20 degrees at about 11:30 pm last night and pitched the yeast. No bubbles coming through the airlock... yet. Definitly investing in that auto siphon. Cheers guys. This wont be my first and last haha. Just a learning step

ahh i picked up the wrong bucket today when mashing in. picked up one with a kg left of biscuit malt instead of pale lol

then i forgot to whirpool, so only scraped 19 litres.. worst brew day yet.. going to call it caramel cookie :o

Damn. Gutted. Good name for it tho hahaha

Well since we're sharing disastrous brew days, I have

-Burnt my arm and chest badly with boiling water from an immersion chiller hose flying off! Right before a trip to the gold coast in summer :I 

-Spilt countless litres of wort

-Ran out of gas half way through a brew and had to quickly run down to the gassy!! This has happened to me a few times, sometimes just after the mash which is ok, but during the boil after youve put in some hops really sucks cos it screws up the bitterness

-Aimed for 15 litres and got 22 litres

-Aimed for 20 litres and got 15

-Had Enzo drop a ceramic bowl containing hops straight into the boil lol

But yeah, have only had one drain pour so I think I have been pretty lucky!! haha

I wouldn't worry too much, I also know a brewer (a professional, qualified brewer) who wondered why his brew wasn't fermenting then realised he's mixed up his US05 and Koppafloc. Needless to say Koppafloc doesn't ferment too well.

I aways say as long as you keep it clean and sterile, at least you'll make something you can drink. Even with no yeast at least you'll get a nice sweet malty drink;)

EDIT- although burning yourself with hot water isn't ideal either

"Needless to say Koppafloc doesn't ferment too well."

lol

yep, gotta have everything go wrong at least once, its the nature of the beast. AG gets second nature after a few batches, as already mentioned above, and your enjoyment level increases until it really does become something you will do without too much thought or stress. Keep good notes, make equipment adjustments so as not to repeat those misfortunes and keep posting up here to gain the benifits of others' experience.

Yeah your right. Reading through these replies makes me feel way better haha. At the time I started this thread i was spewing, very angry. Learn from ya mistakes tho, right? Can't wait to get into my brew. Im sure it'll go way better lol

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service